Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disabling OTA Updates in iOS 9.x

I wanted to ask is there a supported way in which I can disable Over The Air updates in iOS 9.x? As we know, when an iDevice is running connected to a wireless network it will download the update ready for installing - this is fine. But with following the update to iOS 9.x, the device will look to automatically schedule the update to be installed in the middle of night. The problem being, I don't leave the iPhone or iPod on charge all night and don't want to - therefore the update would install in the night if i.e. had more than 50% battery charge.

I want to have full control of the iOS updates which I install through iTunes, which I have done until the release of iOS 9.x. Can you recommend how I achieve this?

Many thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), Various iDevices w/iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 11:30 AM

2 replies

Oct 4, 2015 12:36 PM in response to NeilHobbs

First, when it asks to schedule an overnight auto update, it is doing just that – asking. You don't have to say yes. Second, the auto update should only happen if the device is connected to power, not just charged above 50%. Third, I had the opposite problem – I scheduled auto updates on both of my devices last night, left them both plugged in, but the updates didn't happen. So since it doesn't appear to happen even when you want it to, I doubt there's too much to worry about it doing it when you don't want!

Oct 4, 2015 12:58 PM in response to HelloKit

Hi Thanks for the reply.

Yeah. When I connected my iPhone to the mains this morning to charge it, it downloaded the iOS 9.0.2 update - I'm happy with that. It then asked me;

1. if I wanted to install it there and then
  2. if I wanted to let the phone install it at 3am, tomorrow morning
  3. do nothing

I selected item #3. I then did a little research and from what I could find, it suggested that it would install the iOS update at the scheduled time (assuming it had more than 50% of the charge left - which it would have at 3am tomorrow morning). It wouldn't have been connected to the mains, as I charge it up, then take it off charge, let it discharge until it says "Charge me" at the 20% mark.

This is what I read - http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/06/11/inside-ios-9-apple-makes-it-easier-to- upgrade-with-automatic-overnight-updates…

I then thought, 'its connected to the mains now, so i just as well install it' - so I installed it and it rebooted. The install installed successfully.

However, I would like to get a clarification on what the new update mechanism - as I don't want the phone (or any iDevice) updating itself. I like to do full backups and update all of the apps. So I gain control of things. I work in IT, can you guess? 😉

Disabling OTA Updates in iOS 9.x

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.