Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reclaim space out of Time Machine sparse bundle

Using Terminal, I manually deleted about 200-300GB of old Time Machine backups on my 1TB Time Capsule, so I could make room for a second laptop that needs to backup to the same drive.

That went fine. However, TM uses Sparse bundles, and the space isn't automatically reclaimed once deleted. I'm trying to release that space with hdiutil, but consistently get an error that the resource is temporarily unavailable. See below. DMC-12 is the name of the Time Machine drive, and California.sparsebundle is the bundle within it.

sudo hdiutil compact /Volumes/DMC-12/California.sparsebundle

hdiutil: compact failed - Resource temporarily unavailable

Any other ways I can reclaim the space?

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 11:19 AM

3 replies

Oct 4, 2015 12:55 PM in response to dantrimble

No.. that is the only way...

Did you follow Pondini's method exactly.. http://pondini.org/TM/12.html

ie drag the already mounted name of the sparsebundle from finder to the terminal.

The sparsebundle must already be mounted for it to work.

The best way around this is to remove the 1TB disk and replace it with a 2 or 3TB.. or plug in a USB drive and use that.

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Apple_Time_Capsule

Oct 4, 2015 1:32 PM in response to LaPastenague

I didn't follow Pondini. I just used the terminal commands in the way I knew how. Nevertheless, I'm not opposed to trying it. Unfortunately, since Apple stupidly did away with CAT5 Ethernet ports on their laptops, I can't connect the Time Machine directly to my laptop via Ethernet.

Two questions...

1. Since Mac OS automatically mounts and unmounts the Time Capsule hard drive when needed, how would I go about mounting it manually when Mac OS isn't using it, so I can try hdutil compact then?

2. If I attach a second external drive to the Time Capsule, I can have one laptop use the internal drive and a second laptop use the external one, right?

Appreciate your input. My thanks to you.

dt

Oct 4, 2015 3:25 PM in response to dantrimble

since Apple stupidly did away with CAT5 Ethernet ports on their laptops, I can't connect the Time Machine directly to my laptop via Ethernet.

Thunderbolt to ethernet adapter is absolutely essential purchase for anyone in this predicament.

1. Since Mac OS automatically mounts and unmounts the Time Capsule hard drive when needed, how would I go about mounting it manually when Mac OS isn't using it, so I can try hdutil compact then?

You can of course mount it through terminal.. but heck your terminal knowledge is a lot better than mine.

I use finder.. Go /Connect to server.

Type in SMB://TCname.local or SMB://TCIPaddress

Where TCname is the actual network name of the TC (not the apple mash up you probably use from airport utility, unless as a smart network guru you used all names that are short, no spaces and pure alphanumerics).

You can also substitute AFP for SMB.. but SMB is standard since Mavericks and faster .. or so apple says.

Do use the domain.. it helps.. or even better use direct IPv4 address.. eg SMB://10.0.1.1

That is not so easy when the TC is bridged of course because it will pickup random IP from the main router.. unless you set dhcp reservations further upstream.

When the network resource is discovered you will have a password request.. this is usually the device password unless you specifically set disk password in airport utility. Don't forget to store it in the keychain.

2. If I attach a second external drive to the Time Capsule, I can have one laptop use the internal drive and a second laptop use the external one, right?

Yes,, although USB is not super fast.. wireless is even less super fast.. so the overall difference will be small.

Do not use self powered drives or if you do... get a powered hub.. the TC is lacking in power supply watts..

Reclaim space out of Time Machine sparse bundle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.