Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Share photos with users in same iMac

Me and my wife use same iMac and have diferrnts profiles, i wold like to have same photos in both profiles. And I don't want to share all photos in iCloud, just locally in this iMac. It's something so basic and don't exist the function to share photos with users from same iMac ??

OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 11:50 AM

3 replies

Oct 4, 2015 12:12 PM in response to Eugeniu T.

Photos is a single-user application. If two users are using the same Photos Library, you will run into permission problems, if both users are modifying the library. One way to prevent that is to move the Photos Library to an external drive or a separate disk partition. This way you can enable the "Ignore Ownership on this volume" flag. The method is described here for iPhoto, but will work also for Photos: iPhoto: Sharing libraries among multiple users

Added: I am just seeing Larry's reply:

The "Ignore Ownership" method is working for me, as long as the Photos Library is not an iCloud Photo Library. That would be problematic with two different AppleIDs.

And sharing the library in iCloud will not work at all, if the user accounts are using different AppleIDs. Apple's recommended method for sharing are Shared Albums. Share selected photos in iCloud, but not the complete library. iCloud: iCloud Photo Sharing FAQ

Oct 4, 2015 12:22 PM in response to LarryHN

I just ran a test on a test library on another volume from my two accounts on my iMac and were able to use the same library from both accounts. Did an edit in one account and was able to revert to original in the other account. Also added a photo in the second account, switched back to the primary account and was able to access and edit.

No apparent permissions issue since the volume has ownership set to be ignored. So for two users on the same Mac there doesn't seem to be any problems.

User uploaded file

Share photos with users in same iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.