Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do you delete files from my computer WITHOUT having them deleted from icloud?

I want to free up space on my computer which is why I purchased extra iCloud storage. However, if I would then delete the photos on my computer, it seems they will delete on iCloud. Am I missing something here. Do I need to store what I want to save in Dropbox or Google? Help!

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 10:37 AM

1 reply

Oct 5, 2015 5:54 AM in response to nancyjl

With iCloud Photo Library enabled, you cannot delete a photo on one device (or at iCloud.com) without deleting it from every device that uses iCloud photo library (and iCloud.com). In order to save space on your mobile devices (and indeed your Mac if you wish to do so) turn on optimisation for photos on these devices (settings > photos & camera > optimise storage on your mobile device and Photo preferences > optimise storage on your Mac)

Optimisation is dynamic, it reduces the resolution of your photos as and when needed, so you may not notice it occurring at first. However when it is needed, it is very effective and users have reported libraries being optimised to much less than 10% of their original size in some cases. My own library is about 9% of its original size on my phone.

how do you delete files from my computer WITHOUT having them deleted from icloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.