Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari cannot establish secure connection or load images

MacBook Pro 5,5 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26 GHz

OS 10.6.8

Safari 5.1.10

This started a few days ago out of the blue. When loading a new webpage some or all images and buttons would not load, sometimes I would get the "cannot establish secure connection" message.

Facebook has problems regularly and is where I first noticed it, other sites much less often.

Using Firefox or Chrome I have no issues.

I tried clearing the Safari cache and disabling extensions (iGetter and Last Pass) but this did nothing. Sometimes relaunching helps, sometimes it does not. I also reinstalled Safari, no change.

Ideas?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 10:42 AM

4 replies

Oct 29, 2015 6:39 PM in response to Eric Root

I've been using Firefox as my default browser for the last few weeks but started seeing connection issues. Good news is there are no problems with images.

The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.

If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.

If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Most times selecting Try Again will result in a connection. I never had this sort of behavior before I started seeing the Safari issues. I'm still unable to find the root cause after a month 😠

Dec 24, 2015 7:26 AM in response to mudbucker

This is actually mudbucker under a different account name (don't ask)

Two months later I am still getting this problem with reset connections. I've tried all the suggestions above and others I've found online and still have this happening. I've gotten used to it but it's still not right 😠

The other Macs here at home (iMac running 10.7, MBAir running 10.9) do not have this issue...only my MBPro.

This is really bugging me because it's the first issue with a Mac since I started with an LC decades ago that I have been unable to solve.

Dec 25, 2015 7:02 AM in response to meatballfulton

Safari/Preferences/Advanced - enable the Develop menu, then go there and Empty Caches. Quit/reopen Safari and test. Then try Safari/History/Show History and delete all history items. Quit/reopen Safari and test. You can also try try Safari/Reset Safari. The down side is it clears all cookies. Doing this may cause some sites to no longer recognize your computer as one that has visited the web site. Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library./Caches/com.apple.Safari/Caches.db and move it to the trash.

Go to Safari Preferences/Extensions and turn all extensions off. Test. If okay, turn the extensions on one by one until you figure out what extension is causing the problem.

Safari Corruption See post by Linc Davis

The main problem may be that version of Safari is out of date and can't handle current web standards.

Safari cannot establish secure connection or load images

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.