Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes won't transfer purchases from iPhone/iPad.

I own both an iphone 5 And an iPad Air 2, both running the latest iOS 9.02. I have a very limited amount of data that I can use so normally I'll transfer all my apps that need updated and take the phone to a wifi hotspot, update them, then transfer them back to my computer. This all changed with the update to iOS 9. My iTunes no longer will transfer purchased apps. anyone have any suggestions?

iPhone 5, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 10:45 AM

16 replies

Oct 4, 2015 1:47 PM in response to managermatt

This feature actually is awesome as it saves you tons of space on your devices and makes downloads/updates much faster by installing only the graphics and other resources actually needed on that specific device.

To keep "universal" apps on your computer, set it to download all purchases made on other devices.

Oct 11, 2015 5:43 PM in response to managermatt

Ok, so just so that everybody understands this, I am very aware of how iTunes & iPhones work. I have used iPhones for many, many years. I have updated apps through my iPhone and transferred them back to my PC with no problem. I do this because I have VERY limited internet at home (10 Gb/month). I do not have the luxury of updated them from my PC unless I take my laptop to a Wi-Fi hotspot and update them there. Something on either the ITunes program or the iPhone has changed with the recent updates and I am trying to figure out what changed.

Oct 12, 2015 12:03 AM in response to managermatt

It's a new developer feature with iOS 9 that is/will be available :

The store and operating system optimize the installation of iOS, tvOS, and watchOS apps by tailoring app delivery to the capabilities of the user’s particular device, with minimal footprint. This optimization, called app thinning, lets you create apps that use the most device features, occupy minimum disk space, and accommodate future updates that can be applied by Apple. Faster downloads and more space for other apps and content provides a better user experience.

So what will be downloaded onto a device will only be what is required for that app on that device - so what is on a device may not be 'complete' app, and that is why (presumably) apps will no longer copy back from a device.

Oct 14, 2015 12:30 AM in response to managermatt

I hear you!

I have used both iTunes and iPhone for many years. I too have noticed that behavior changing. I am like you: I update on the phone and then sync it back to the computer. This, also, changed for me as of iOS 9.

From what (not exhaustive) research I've done, the 'App Thinning' feature seems to be the consensus for the behavior change. And from what I have read it would seem the whole app is now kept on any computer and any device has just the parts it needs to run. Which would give us, at least, some reason why syncs no longer work from iDevice to computer like it use to.

Sadly, I can't offer any help to fix it as it seems to be "a feature, not a bug."

Oct 26, 2015 11:48 AM in response to managermatt

Same problem here with a new iMac; talked to Apple Care and they said the feature hasn't been removed with iOS 9 and the latest iTunes has a specific menu option under File > Devices > > Transfer Purchases but apparently there's a bug. In any case, you can work around it if you have your old library on a different machine. Copy all the apps from the old machine /Users/yournusername/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Mobile Applications to the same directory in the new machine. After that, do a select all and open with iTunes.

Dec 25, 2015 12:10 AM in response to managermatt

I have a MacBook, iPad, iPad Mini and an iPhone... all current OS versions.

Can I download the App updates once and distribute to all my mobile devices? I have a data-bundle cap, so I am looking for the most efficient method.

iTunes > File > Devices > Transfer Purchases... doesn't seem to do anything. I made this point, as after running the TP function I still have an Amazon App ver 5.4.0 on my iPhone and ver 5.2.0 on my MacBook.

If I follow the discussion correctly, I should download the App updates on my MacBook > iTunes first and then synch/replicate to my mobile devices. Right?

iTunes won't transfer purchases from iPhone/iPad.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.