Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home Sharing suddenly not working.

Hi all,

I'll try to explain my Home Share issues the best I can. All of my computers are on the BEATLES workgroup on our home LAN, signed in to the Apple Store, Home Sharing and authorized using the same ID. I have all ports required for iTunes open on the router. iTunes and Bonjour are allowed through the windows firewall and the Bonjour Service is running. All computers, routers and switches have been power-cycled multiple times.

I have a Windows 10 PC (named George) in our Family Room that is the 'master' computer on my home network. This computer has all the iTunes playlists; the media (I digitized my CD collection) is stored on a D-Link DNS-320 NAS (named Penny Lane). All of the playlists and media can be accessed and played on this master computer.

I have a wired Windows XP SP3 laptop (named Paul) in the living room, connected to my stereo system, which feeds speakers throughout the house. Until last week, I could see the Master Computer playlists and play the media without issue. Suddenly, I can't see George's playlists at all. This laptop also recognizes Penny Lane because it has a DLNA server. Nothing changed in regards to the hardware or wiring. The path to George is 2WIRE ROUTER>GEORGE. The path to Paul is 2WIRE ROUTER>SWITCH>SWITCH>PAUL. I have tried bypassing both switches, but saw no difference.

I have a wired or wireless Windows 10 64 bit laptop (named Ringo) that was also able to see George until recently. This laptop cannot see any of the Home Shares, either wired to the network or wireless. Even when connected by ethernet directly to the 2WIRE router, it doesn't see any of the Home Shares.

I have a wired Windows 7 PC (named Rocky) in the basement. It follows the same wire routing as Paul...2WIRE ROUTER>SWITCH>SWITCH>ROCKY. It could also see George until last week, but now sees only Penny Lane.

The Windows 10 and 7 computers are running iTunes 12.3.0.44, the XP laptop is running the last version for XP.

Is this a Windows 10 issue or am I missing something obvious. The only thing that changed between the time Home Sharing was working and when it was not were a few Windows 10 updates.

Hopefully somebody has some ideas. Thanks in advance for any help.

Phil

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 12:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 8:08 AM

So, after trying EVERYTHING several times, I tried uninstalling and re-installing iTunes on the XP laptop, then another restart of everything including the ISP-supplied 2WIRE router, all the shares came back as quickly as they had vanished. Not exactly sure what the problem was, but it require about 10 power-cycles to correct.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2015 8:08 AM in response to Bill_Hubbard

So, after trying EVERYTHING several times, I tried uninstalling and re-installing iTunes on the XP laptop, then another restart of everything including the ISP-supplied 2WIRE router, all the shares came back as quickly as they had vanished. Not exactly sure what the problem was, but it require about 10 power-cycles to correct.

Home Sharing suddenly not working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.