Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sports Graphics

I'm wanting to do something similar to the below, but in a movie format for the DVD's I produce for the Rugby club i support. User uploaded file

What I'm wanting to do is do some video on the pitch, then have something to display the players pictures/blue screen video, before moving onto the next position/player. but i want to keep the last player image in the background.

I've probably not explained this very well, but any help would be appreciated

Motion 5, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), null

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 12:20 PM

2 replies

Oct 5, 2015 8:46 AM in response to Hawkeye_84

How well do you know Motion?

How well do you understand 3D?

The individual player doodads. let's call them pawns, are separate 3D objects assembled in 3D space. You can manipulate them to move around like pawns but Motion's 3D engine does not understand collisions so they will pass right through each other.

The main problem with the illustration you have provided is the studio shot is not 3D, it's just flat. Incorporating 2D and 3D elements is not difficult but it's tricky since shadows cannot be realistic. So you build the pawns on a transparent chess board (that shows shadows) in a precomp that supports shadows and move that to your flat build.

There are dozens of highly skilled animators selling Motion templates; one of them might have exactly what you want.

Warnings:

Motion is difficult to learn—fun, but confusing and un-FCPX-like. The higher functions of Motion (behaviors, rigs, interactivity between elements) take months of experience and practice to begin to understand (for me, anyway—you might be much more receptive to the Motion Way).

3D takes about 3 times as long to render/share as 2D. As you add lights, surfaces, and shadows, rendering time increases geometrically.

Oct 5, 2015 10:38 PM in response to Hawkeye_84

umph, well ...

I think, we have to narrow your demands and skills...

First of all: your example is a highly professional done "3D"-set. The real part is this:

User uploaded file

I guess/hope, you do NOT plan to mix real life plus your graphic ..?

(green-screen compos in FCPX/M5 no prob, but not 'live')

And I do hope, you don't plan to mix your graphics with mobile cameras ..? Tracking can be accmplished, esp with the help of tools from www.coremelt.com - but no beginners task ....

User uploaded file

but ....

creating some graphics, adding some framed videos, adding z-depth and perhaps playing with shalow depth of field .....

User uploaded file

can give some results ... I welded this right now in a few minutes for demonstration, using elements for an opener I'm actually working on (first 30sec here ) ..

User uploaded file

add some camera behaviours ... fly thru your set

note:

I'm an enthusiastic hobbyist teaching myself M5 now for about a year (two?) ... 😉

Look for ready-mades, there aretons of 'sports themes' avail for Motion/FCPX

Sports Graphics

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.