Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine couldn’t complete the backup

After upgrading to El Capitan and Server 5.x, my client machines can no longer use the server as a Backup destination. I get the following error:

Time Machine couldn’t complete the backup to “Server”.

The network backup disk could not be accessed because there was a problem with the network username or password. You may need to re-select the backup disk and enter the correct username and password.

I have gone as far completely wiping the drives of the server (CMD+OPT+R) via Internet Recovery and installing the OS X fresh and Server 5 fresh. I additionally attempted to add a new client machine that was just out of the box, and I get the same errors.

I am positive my username and password are correct, I am able to use the login credentials to access the disk/folder as a share.

Time Machine IS Turned ON.

Drives ARE Mapped to Time Machine in the Server OS-X Panel.

User Permissions are CORRECT to Read/Write to the Time Machine.

I have cleared out all Time Machine and Server related items in the Keychain.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 12:06 PM

19 replies

Oct 4, 2015 3:40 PM in response to Linc Davis

I am not sure I am doing this right...

Oct 4 17:36:15 Martins-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: AFP_VFS afpfs_unmount: /Volumes/Backups, flags 0, pid 6852

Oct 4 17:36:25 Martins-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: AFP_VFS afpfs_unmount: /Volumes/OLDTimeCapsule, flags 0, pid 6859

Oct 4 17:36:30 Martins-MacBook-Pro com.apple.backupd[6780]: Attempting to soft mount network destination URL: afp://server@Server._afpovertcp._tcp.local./Backups

Oct 4 17:36:31 Martins-MacBook-Pro NetAuthSysAgent[6863]: ERROR: AFP_OpenSession - Login failed with 80

Oct 4 17:36:31 Martins-MacBook-Pro com.apple.backupd[6780]: NAConnectToServerSync failed with error: 80 (Authentication error) for url: afp://server@Server._afpovertcp._tcp.local./Backups

Oct 4 17:36:31 Martins-MacBook-Pro com.apple.backupd[6780]: Attempting to mount network destination using alternate URL: afp://server@Server.local/Backups

Oct 4 17:36:34 Martins-MacBook-Pro NetAuthSysAgent[6863]: ERROR: AFP_OpenSession - Login failed with 80

Oct 4 17:36:34 Martins-MacBook-Pro com.apple.backupd[6780]: NAConnectToServerSync failed with error: 80 (Authentication error) for alternate url: afp://server@Server.local/Backups

Oct 4 17:36:34 Martins-MacBook-Pro com.apple.backupd[6780]: Attempting to soft mount network destination URL: afp://server@Server._afpovertcp._tcp.local./Backups

Oct 4 17:36:41 Martins-MacBook-Pro NetAuthSysAgent[6863]: ERROR: AFP_OpenSession - Login failed with 80

Oct 4 17:36:41 Martins-MacBook-Pro com.apple.backupd[6780]: NAConnectToServerSync failed with error: 80 (Authentication error) for url: afp://server@Server._afpovertcp._tcp.local./Backups

Oct 4 17:36:41 Martins-MacBook-Pro com.apple.backupd[6780]: Attempting to mount network destination using alternate URL: afp://server@Server.local/Backups

Oct 4 17:36:49 Martins-MacBook-Pro NetAuthSysAgent[6863]: ERROR: AFP_OpenSession - Login failed with 80

Oct 4 17:36:49 Martins-MacBook-Pro com.apple.backupd[6780]: NAConnectToServerSync failed with error: 80 (Authentication error) for alternate url: afp://server@Server.local/Backups

Oct 4 17:37:38 Martins-MacBook-Pro Server[6870]: subscribeTo: servermgr_afp.state

Oct 4, 2015 4:45 PM in response to MartyF81

When you mount the share in the Finder, you're using credentials stored in the user keychain. When Time Machine mounts the share, it uses credentials stored in the System keychain. Make sure those credentials are the same. Even if they seem to be correct, delete the password item in the System keychain, then delete the backup destination in the Time Machine preference pane and recreate it with the name and password of a user on the server who has full read and write access to the backup folder. The password should consist only of plain alphanumeric characters, not special characters such as "$".

Oct 4, 2015 7:57 PM in response to MartyF81

If this same setup was working before the upgrade, and you haven't changed anything else, then you seem to have ruled out everything I can think of except a bug in Server, but it's a bug I can't reproduce. If you use the DNS service, you could try addressing the server by its unicast domain name instead of the Bonjour name. Otherwise, only Apple Support could tell you more, and then only after your case has been escalated to Engineering.

Time Machine couldn’t complete the backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.