Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is there a huge increase in cookie placement after upgrade to Safari 9.0?

My Safari Preferences>Privacy have always been: Cookies and Website Data>Allow from websites I visit. The various websites I regularly visit have frequently deposited a few unwanted cookies...that's life on the web. However, since upgrading to Safari 9.0, I am getting something like 20 to 40 cookies from those same familiar websites. It appears that something may have changed in Safari to allow this to happen. BTW, I do know how to delete unwanted cookies, but it's never been this many. My OS version is 10.10.5.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 12:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 4:00 PM

You're not alone. Others that have upgraded to Safari 9 are experiencing the same cookie problems.

From your Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Privacy tab then click: Remove All Website Data

Then monitor cookies. If that didn't help, please provide feedback to Apple > Apple - Safari - Feedback

You won't receive a reply but the more Safari users that send feedback, the sooner a fix.

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2015 4:00 PM in response to nhuser

You're not alone. Others that have upgraded to Safari 9 are experiencing the same cookie problems.

From your Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Privacy tab then click: Remove All Website Data

Then monitor cookies. If that didn't help, please provide feedback to Apple > Apple - Safari - Feedback

You won't receive a reply but the more Safari users that send feedback, the sooner a fix.

Oct 4, 2015 6:59 PM in response to nhuser

I just noticed the same thing today! I was afraid I obtained some sort of adware or malware. I am a little relieved to know that there are others who have this issue. I clear my cookies and history....then restart safari and I immediately have 33 cookies!

Im still not sure I want to log into any accounts for fear of password being compromised. But I guess since this is a Safari 9 upgrade issue. It is not.

Oct 5, 2015 7:13 AM in response to nhuser

I have been having this problem also, and am relieved to see it is not just me. The Privacy settings of 'Remove all website data' and 'Always block' seem to not work at all. I usually leave cookies of 7 or so sites, and I clear all others daily. in checking a couple of days ago I had almost 300 sites storing junk. I delete all, and dozens come right back, even if I click on 'Always block'. I even went through the steps to locate and remove adware and such, but found none. I am concerned with the security of Safari 9.0. I also sent the information to feedback.

Oct 5, 2015 9:30 AM in response to nhuser

I've been dealing with this same problem for the last few days. I'm sure that Apple is aware of the problem and will eventually get it fixed. In the meantime, you can try this: Go to Safari / Preferences / Advanced. At the bottom, you will see a checkbox that says Show Develop Menu in menu bar. Click on the checkbox. Develop should now be on your Safari menu bar, between bookmarks and window. Go to Develop / Empty Caches. Most of the stuff that's been showing up in my website data box are caches, and it cleans them out in one shot. Unfortunately, you'll have to do this after every session until they fix the problem, but it beats trying to get rid of them individually. One other thing - Does this problem only affect those who have NOT upgraded to Capitan? I haven't upgraded yet, and I'm not aware of anybody that has upgraded having this problem. Just curious. Good luck!

Oct 5, 2015 8:11 AM in response to oldfahrdt

I'm having this problem as well and have sent feedback to Apple. I'm using the Develop workaround. At the start of a Safari session I immediately click on Empty Caches AND also check Disable Caches. So far, so good, but it's kind of a pain in the neck since you have to do it every time you start Safari.

Oct 5, 2015 3:12 PM in response to nhuser

So, I upgraded to El Capitan this afternoon (side note: update went very smoothly and quickly.....about 35 mins total). Safari still has the same issue with loading dozens and dozen of files/cookies in my cache. So frustrating. I feel so unsafe browsing and logging into website (i.e. pay bills).

El Capitan 10.11

Safari 9.0 (11601.1.56)

Oct 5, 2015 5:36 PM in response to der sturm

I spoke to Apple Tech Support this morning about 'magic cookies' appearing with 10.10.5 and Safari 9.0 even with Always Block setting. Conversation went from 1st tech to senior advisor to managers to sending report to Engineering. I was assured that this problem does not exist with El Capitan but I obviously defer to any actual user who has El Capitan actually installed.

I never upgrade to any system OS unless it reaches xx.2 so hopefully this issue will be fixed by then. In the meantime, I keep the Safari Preferences window open at all times and periodically delete cookies. I have never seen so many cookies ever!

I have already sent a Feedback request.

Oct 6, 2015 1:17 PM in response to OldBrock

Even stranger today.

I was advised by another senior tech that Safari evolves and changes and that "Always Block" refers to malware and bad cookies. Websites need cookies to function and that is why I see so many.

I pointed out that all these cookies are because of 9.0 and "Always Block" previous to this update meant what it said. If a site needed cookies to function, it would let you know. I also pointed out that many people are upset by this issue. Besides, 'double-click.net' which shows up all the time now, is not a 'good cookie'.

Keep the feedback coming and if enough complain, the cookie issue will be resolved.

Why is there a huge increase in cookie placement after upgrade to Safari 9.0?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.