Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I reset the forgotten Administrative password with reference to internet but now I couldn't find my old account, my all important files, pictures are there. how to recover it?

I reset the forgotten Administrative password with the help on internet tips but now when i logged in i found new account and my old account does not exist. i had my all important files there. Please help me how to recover it?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 1:01 PM

5 replies

Oct 4, 2015 1:19 PM in response to pradhan_dipen

I do not know where that came from. I found this and this gets you to reset the PW for a known account:

Reset 10.5 Leopard & 10.6 Snow Leopard password

1. Power on or restart your Mac.
  2. At the chime (or grey screen if your chime is turned off), hold down Command+S on your keyboard to enter single-user mode.
  3. This step is optional, but it’s a good idea because it checks the consistency of the hard disk before moving on. At the prompt, type fsck -fy and press Enter/Return. Wait for the checks to complete before going to the next step.
  4. Type mount -uw / and press Enter.
  5. Type launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist and press Enter.
  6. Type ls /Users and press Enter. This lists all of the usernames on the computer – helpful if you don’t know or remember what these are.
  7. Type dscl . -passwd /Users/username password and replace “username” with one of the users displayed in the previous step. Replace “password” with a new password of your choice. Press Enter.
  8. Type reboot and press Enter.

From

http://www.macyourself.com/2009/08/03/how-to-reset-your-mac-os-x-password-withou t-an-installer-disc/

It appears you just created a new AdMin account

Oct 4, 2015 1:30 PM in response to pradhan_dipen

hold Command +S during restart

mount -uw /

rm/var/db/.applesetupdone

shutdown -h now

Running that procedure will force the Setup Assistant to run, as if your MacBook were "new". That is NOT what you want.

That will allow you to create still MORE Accounts, which will also not contain your files, and will not help you connect to your previous Account.

what Accounts do you see when you do this:

System Preferences > Users & Groups ...

... will show you all the accounts available. what accounts are listed there?

I reset the forgotten Administrative password with reference to internet but now I couldn't find my old account, my all important files, pictures are there. how to recover it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.