Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to make an AppleScript that edits the next note in Mac Notes

I want a shortcut to edit the next note in Mac Notes. Since there is no menu alternative for this I guess I need to create an AppleScript for it. I've tried to use the Notes library in the AppleScript Editor, but can't really figure out how to do it.

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 12:24 PM

7 replies

Oct 5, 2015 2:51 PM in response to SGIII

I see 'tab' cycles between the names list and the search bar, and the up-down arrows navigate to previous and next notes. But can't find a keyboard command to enter the text panel. So scripting this would appear to cumbersome, perhaps possible through gut-scripting that simulates a mouse click in a specified location. Don't know how to do that, though.

SG

Oct 5, 2015 3:47 PM in response to ZoeZoe6

Great site! I hadn't noticed they had added a section on Notes. Thanks for pointing that out. As far as I can tell AppleScript can move notes to different folders, and can replace the text in the body of a note, etc. But there doesn't seem to be a way for AppleScript to sense the currently selected note, or move the focus into the "body" of a note for manual editing.

SG

How to make an AppleScript that edits the next note in Mac Notes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.