Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade from Snow Leopard

I have resisted upgrading from Snow Leopard until now because there were a few applications (mostly appleworks) are no longer supported since OS10.7 was released.

I have other computers that run on Yosemite and they run OK and I am worried that some newer / future software may no longer work with Snow Leopard at some point.

However, I still would like the ability to boot into Snow Leopard to run Appleworks, specifically for the database. I also have many Appleworks files that won't import into Pages. I also want to be able to play some older games.

How do I create a bootable Snow Leopard System File on an external disk? I have tried to install Snow Leopard from my Snow Leopard DVD onto a Firewire drive, but after the installation process is over, the computer hangs up on the restart.

I figure I must be doing something wrong. Any suggestions?

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 2:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply
3 replies

Oct 5, 2015 5:05 PM in response to Eric Root

Thanks very much for your response Eric!

I might have left something out in my question...

1. I run the Snow Leopard installation process from my Snow Leopard DVD to install Snow Leopard on an external Firewire Drive.

2. The installation completes and the iMac restarts, but gets hung up on the grey screen. The Snow Leopard DVD is still in the drive.

3. After for about 10 minutes, I press the power button on the iMac to turn it off... wait 5 seconds... press the power button again and press the eject disk button

4. After the Snow Leopard DVD ejects, the iMac boots up as usual.

5. There is a file on the firewire drive that says "Mac Install..." but this doesn't appear to be a regular system file.

Can I create a bootable Snow Leopard system file on my external firewire drive?

After installing the Yosemite / El Capitan updates, I want to be able to boot my iMac back into Snow Leopard to use Appleworks. Is this possible?

Upgrade from Snow Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.