Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari in El Capitan is not loading Quicktime plug-in

After installing El Capitan on my 2015 Macbook Pro, the websites I created using some Quicktime files, won't play the audio portions. On some of my sites Quicktime doesn't play either audio or video, and shows a "MISSING PLUG-IN" sign. If I access another computer running Yosemite, all my websites are just fine.

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 1:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2015 10:32 AM

It seems El Capitan disabled Quicktime plugin by default across the OS. To enable it, go to Library/Internet Plugins/Disabled Plug-Ins, move quicktime plugin.plugin one folder up and delete the quicktime plugin.plugin in the Disabled Plug-Ins folder. Restart Safari.

8 replies

Oct 11, 2015 8:50 AM in response to power75

Wow! Thank you so much. I could have sworn I looked in both libraries before and found nothing, but today after reading your reply, I thought I'd look for it one more time before I made an appointment with a Genius at the Apple Store. Well, I was really surprised to find the plugin. I moved it out of the Disabled Plugins folder and trashed the copy that was left in the folder. Now everything works great, and I'm going to notify my Apple Store just in case they have any other customers complaining about the same thing. You really made my day! Thanks again! 🙂

Safari in El Capitan is not loading Quicktime plug-in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.