Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes spinning beach ball

Hi experts,

I'm using iTunes 12.3 and upgraded to El Capitan in an attempt to get normal responsiveness for iTunes on my 2009 iMac. Unfortunately these updates did not improve anything. I'm running a backup of my music library (200Gb) on an old PPC G5 with iTunes 10.6 which runs much faster. How is that possible?

It seems as if Apple is deliberetly slowing down software on my 2009 iMac to force me to upgrade to new hardware. Although a hardware upgrade might solve my issue, I think it is strange that a relatively -non resource heavy- application like an MP3 player would force me to do that. I think it is just bad programming.

- Is it possible to downgrade to earlier versions of iTunes (running in El Capitan) and convert my library so that it can be used by this older working iTunes version?

- Will this downgrade lead to issues for working with modern iPads and iPhones? I don't think so myself as these devices can operate and upgrade independently from iTunes.

Thanks for sharing your ideas!

Ruud

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 1:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 2:44 PM

When you see a beachball cursor, note the exact time: hour, minute, second.

These instructions must be carried out as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Each message in the log begins with the date and time when it was entered. Scroll back to the time you noted above.

Select the messages entered from then until the end of the episode, or until they start to repeat, whichever comes first.

Copy the messages to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of it useless for solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

When you post the log extract, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2015 2:44 PM in response to rluijend

When you see a beachball cursor, note the exact time: hour, minute, second.

These instructions must be carried out as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Each message in the log begins with the date and time when it was entered. Scroll back to the time you noted above.

Select the messages entered from then until the end of the episode, or until they start to repeat, whichever comes first.

Copy the messages to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of it useless for solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

When you post the log extract, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

Oct 5, 2015 11:41 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Link,

Thanks for your reply and giving input on my issue.

I have no problem finding Console or checking the "All messages" there. The problem seems that not all spinning balls are resulting in a log entry in the console. Related to iTunes startup I could find the following messages that might be related. At least it shows a few errors.

05-10-15 20:24:07,371 iTunes[1126]: 20:24:07.371 WARNING: >compload> 472: ARP%202600%20V2.component -- file:///Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/: trouble parsing Info.plist's AudioComponents, key factoryFunction; entry: <CFBasicHash 0x7ff3c3704da0 [0x7fff766fd890]>{type = mutable dict, count = 6,

entries =>

2 : <CFString 0x7fff766884b0 [0x7fff766fd890]>{contents = "manufacturer"} = Artu

7 : subtype = arpW

8 : version = <CFNumber 0x2060237 [0x7fff766fd890]>{value = +132610, type = kCFNumberSInt64Type}

9 : description = <CFString 0x7ff3c3704c40 [0x7fff766fd890]>{contents = "ARP 2600 V2 AU"}

10 : type = aumu

11 : name = <CFString 0x7ff3c3565e10 [0x7fff766fd890]>{contents = "Arturia: ARP 2600 V2"}

}

05-10-15 20:24:10,867 iTunes[1126]: ApplePushService: APSConnection being used without a delegate queue

05-10-15 20:24:23,532 mDNSResponder[92]: 82: Could not write data to client PID[1126](iTunes) because of error - aborting connection

05-10-15 20:24:23,532 mDNSResponder[92]: 82: DNSServiceQueryRecord 0x00001000 0 Woonkamer.local. (Addr) PID[1126](iTunes)

05-10-15 20:24:23,532 mDNSResponder[92]: 72: Could not write data to client PID[1126](iTunes) because of error - aborting connection

05-10-15 20:24:23,532 mDNSResponder[92]: 72: DNSServiceQueryRecord 0x00001000 0 Woonkamer.local. (AAAA) PID[1126](iTunes)

05-10-15 20:25:02,890 Safari[1106]: tcp_connection_tls_session_error_callback_imp 10 __tcp_connection_tls_session_callback_write_block_invoke.434 error 22

Hope this is what you meant.

Thanks, Ruud

Oct 5, 2015 12:15 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc,

Sorry for misspelling your name in my previous post. I removed the Arturia VST plugins. Was surprised to see these VST components interfere during iTunes startup. I have more VST plugins installed that do not show up. In addition, these VSTs are installed for use with LogicProX.

After removal of the Arturia plugin I did not see the related error messages during iTunes startup. Unfortunatelly I did not notice improvements for my Spinning ball problem. Now the following errors were logged in the Console:

05-10-15 21:03:56,122 iTunes[1620]: ApplePushService: APSConnection being used without a delegate queue

05-10-15 21:04:42,859 mdworker[1570]: Failed to fetch iCloud metadata with error: Error Domain=BRCloudDocsErrorDomain Code=1 "(null)"

05-10-15 21:04:57,929 mdworker[1624]: Failed to fetch iCloud metadata with error: Error Domain=BRCloudDocsErrorDomain Code=1 "(null)"

05-10-15 21:04:57,933 mdworker[1622]: Failed to fetch iCloud metadata with error: Error Domain=BRCloudDocsErrorDomain Code=1 "(null)"

More ideas?

Thanks, Ruud

Oct 5, 2015 1:14 PM in response to rluijend

Back up all data.

As a test, please move the iTunes library folder from the Music folder (or wherever you keep it in your home folder) to the Desktop. If you've moved the library folder to another volume, unmount the volume.

Quit and relaunch the application. It may prompt you to create a new library, or to select an existing one. Create a new one and import a few tracks. Test.

After testing, quit again and put the original library back where it was, replacing the test library. Post your results.

Oct 6, 2015 2:30 PM in response to Linc Davis

Linc,

You seem to know more than the Apple support people I've spoken with. I've spent over an issue with them on this spinning beach ball issue and have gotten precisely nowhere. I have a similar setup to rluijend, but my library is larger (1.5TB housed on an external drive) and my computer is iMac early 2008 running Yosemite. I had no problems with iTunes speed until I updated to iTunes 12 a year ago so I could sync my new iPhone.

I'm new here so I don't know etiquette.

If I post my Console data here, would you be able to give me a hand? Or would you prefer I start a new thread? (is this anonymous enough?)

Also, I have a second question (my devices get kicked out when I try to sync in iTunes) but I don't want to piggyback too much in this thread... new thread for this?

Thanks!

Oct 6, 2015 8:46 PM in response to Linc Davis

Linc,

You seem to know more than the Apple support people I've spoken with. I've spent over an issue with them on this spinning beach ball issue and have gotten precisely nowhere. I have a similar setup to rluijend, but my library is larger (1.5TB housed on an external drive) and my computer is iMac early 2008 running Yosemite. I had no problems with iTunes speed until I updated to iTunes 12 a year ago so I could sync my new iPhone.

I'm new here so I don't know etiquette.

If I post my Console data here, would you be able to give me a hand? Or would you prefer I start a new thread? (is this anonymous enough?)

Also, I have a second question (my devices get kicked out when I try to sync in iTunes) but I don't want to piggyback too much in this thread... new thread for this?

My previous post of this question seems to have been deleted. I assume this was a mistake in the forum. If someone (OP, Linc, or Apple) deleted my question instead of replying, please at least have the courtesy to reply first.

Thanks!

Oct 19, 2015 11:50 PM in response to rluijend

I'm having the same problem (iMac 27 inch, late 2009, OS 10.11, iTunes 12.3). My library has + 30.000 songs.

After updating to 12.3 iTunes has become so unresponsive that it now unusable. Moreover, apparently iTunes 12.3 is using so much cpu-power that it slows the system as a whole. While starting up iTunes the Console gave me the following messages:

20-10-15 08:32:32,000 kernel[0]: process iTunes[2691] thread 867120 caught burning CPU! It used more than 50% CPU (Actual recent usage: 78%) over 180 seconds. thread lifetime cpu usage 90.024957 seconds, (88.734085 user, 1.290872 system) ledger info: balance: 90006121365 credit: 90009921061 debit: 3799696 limit: 90000000000 (50%) period: 180000000000 time since last refill (ns): 114908954541

and

20-10-15 08:32:34,579 spindump[377]: Saved cpu_resource.diag report for iTunes version 12.3 (12.3.0.44) to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/iTunes_2015-10-20-083234_iMac-Rob.cpu_resource. diag

and

20-10-15 08:34:00,429 mDNSResponder[91]: Client application bug PID[2691](iTunes) : DNSServiceResolve(1BDD8489FA681C6F._appletv-v2._tcp.local.) active for over two minutes. This places considerable burden on the network.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to make sense of this, but it seems that iTunes is straining the system to the point of breaking.

Please advise, any comments would be appreciated!

Oct 20, 2015 12:44 AM in response to waanid

To add to my previous post: I'm letting iTunes run today, monitoring Console. Another message referring to iTunes that I can't make much sense of is this:

20-10-15 09:10:59,053 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.MediaLibraryService.2755) Path not allowed in target domain: type = pid, path = /Library/Frameworks/iTunesLibrary.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.iT unesLibraryService.xpc error = 147: The specified service did not ship in the requestor's bundle, origin = /System/Library/Frameworks/MediaLibrary.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.ap ple.MediaLibraryService.xpc

Oct 30, 2015 7:08 PM in response to rluijend

I am having the exact same issue with iTunes in El Capitan. In fact I upgraded my MacPro 4,1 to El Capitan from Yosemite, and iTunes started beach balling all the time, and I can no longer activate iMessages, so I did a clean install on a separate wiped hard drive and did a clean install, and the system is faster, but I still can't log into iMessages, keep getting iCloud issues, and iTunes is still messed up. I even removed my iTunes Library.itl and xml files, and made a new one, and then imported the XML (the only hard part was that my iTunes is on a second hard drive, so I had to first set that location, which I didn't know), but as soon as it finished iTunes started beach balling again. Here are the key iTunes messages I am getting.

10/30/15 5:49:42.131 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.quicklookd.707) Path not allowed in target domain: type = pid, path = /Library/Frameworks/iTunesLibrary.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.iT unesLibraryService.xpc error = 147: The specified service did not ship in the requestor's bundle, origin = /System/Library/Frameworks/QuickLook.framework/Versions/A/Resources/quicklookd. app

10/30/15 6:06:20.814 PM iTunes[724]: ApplePushService: APSConnection being used without a delegate queue

10/30/15 6:07:47.000 PM kernel[0]: process iTunes[724] thread 39388 caught burning CPU! It used more than 50% CPU (Actual recent usage: 89%) over 180 seconds. thread lifetime cpu usage 90.071686 seconds, (89.625322 user, 0.446364 system) ledger info: balance: 90006478766 credit: 90011558608 debit: 5079842 limit: 90000000000 (50%) period: 180000000000 time since last refill (ns): 100547978800

10/30/15 6:07:48.253 PM spindump[589]: Saved cpu_resource.diag report for iTunes version 12.3.1 (12.3.1.23) to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/iTunes_2015-10-30-180748_JonahLees-Serenity.cpu _resource.diag

And I posted the Spindump of that at my blog: http://jonahlee.com/index.php?id=4401807751128433516

10/30/15 6:08:40.000 PM kernel[0]: Sandbox: AssetCacheLocato(747) deny(1) file-read-data /Applications/iTunes.app

10/30/15 6:21:16.645 PM mDNSResponder[88]: 63: Could not write data to client PID[724](iTunes) after 10 seconds, 13 replies waiting

10/30/15 6:37:03.000 PM kernel[0]: PM notification timeout (pid 724, iTunes)

Nov 2, 2015 12:45 PM in response to Jonah Lee Walker

Well I made my iTunes Library work again, but I lost all playlists and ratings to do it, but iTunes does work now. I posted my whole ordeal at my blog, but long strong short is I trashed my iTunes Library.it and iTunes Library.xml and started fresh. Then I set my media folder to the proper folder, and used Fat Cat Software's PowerTunes to re-import everything that was in my Media folder but not in iTunes. Now my Media is back, sans Playlists and Ratings (many many years worth), and iTunes is no longer pinging the **** out of my processor, so I have to re-rate everything and re-make all of my playlists, but at least iTunes works.

Nov 3, 2015 11:54 AM in response to Jonah Lee Walker

Hi Jonah,

Thanks for your story. After reading your blog it gave me a good feeling that I "only" experience the Beach ball problem in iTunes. The files itself seem to be where they should be and all playlists and scores are still there. I gave up on fixing the issue myself as I was afraid break my library and come into a situation similar to yours having to spend months, if not years, to get everything re-arranged again.

I did start a process to create a new iTunes library manually on an old G5 mac from a subset of my most precious albums from my beach ball Mac. I hope that this library will be max 100Gb in size. I use Spotify on my mobile devices to get access to music on the road.

Thanks!

Ruud

Nov 3, 2015 12:01 PM in response to rluijend

Glad if I helped at all. It is a total mess for me. I just have such a big library. And my huge collection of Big Finish Doctor Who Audios doesn't help! Ha!

Yea, I wish there was something to repair my existing library, as there is obviously something in that file that is causing the issues.

Now if I could get iCloud working right (seem to have Mail working OK after clearing it's log files, but I have a feeling that issue will return).

So far El Capitan has been my worst upgrade yet.

Nov 3, 2015 3:43 PM in response to rluijend

I have been getting the spinning ball in iTunes since Friday night (not constantly the whole time - but intermittently when using iTunes every 30 seconds or so). I have the most updated version of iTunes and went ahead and upgraded to El Capitan after a day if it doing this hoping it was a compatibility issue with iTunes and the OS. It did not help. If I select a track to play it takes a minute to couple of minutes of the spinning ball before it plays. If I try to navigate to other areas like to my Apps or to iTunes Store - same problem. When playing music and the track is done sometimes it waits a bit before playing the next track - and you get the spinning beach ball. It's been a real headache. And if you force quit it takes forever to "checking iTunes Library" when you start it back up again. I have heard many people are encountering the same problem since last week and I was hoping we would see a patch or update from Apple for iTunes.

So far on a few tries it does not seem to affect video play in iTunes.

I'll keep checking around to see if anyone has a fix.

iTunes spinning beach ball

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.