Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problem installing OS X on a used macbook pro mid 2010

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to get on board the Apple adventure ride but I got stuck and I am in dire need of help 🙂

Just bought a used Macbook Pro 13 inch mid 2010 with just the charger and nothing else. I am the 3rd owner at this point.

When I was trying to replace the Admin account/AppleID of the previous owner I ended up formatting the mac and erasing the OS without making a recovery back up.

Tried to install the OS X over Wi-Fi with my new created AppleID but I keep getting the same msg ''Item is temporarily unavailable''. The menu allows me to install the Yosemite version only.

From what I read so far this is because my AppleID has no rights to the OS X until I purchase it for the first time right ?

My question is what steps do I need to take on my own to fix this and make use of the mac ?

I mention that I have at my disposal another Asus laptop running Windows 7 and a 16 gb usb flash drive.

Manny thanks in advance and looking forward to your opinions.

PS. hope I posted this in the correct thread 🙂

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 2:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 9:00 AM

1. Correct.

2. Phone Apple and order replacement original disks, or if the computer's firmware was updated to use Apple's Internet Recovery system, restart it with the Option, Command, and R keys held down.

(134416)

3 replies

Oct 6, 2015 3:24 PM in response to Niel

Hi Niel

Yes, the firmware was upgraded to support the Internet Recovery System. I started the topic by accesing Safari from it

I just want to know if buying a copy of Snow Leopard from the App Store would be a quicker solution than ordering the disks from Apple.

Would this not give my Apple ID the rights to a copy of that version of OS X with the possibility of upgrading to Yosemite ?

Do I need to take alternative steps just because the only version of OS X that I am allowed to install now is Yosemite ?

Your reply will be much appreciated. I'd like to have the full picture before making a decision 🙂

problem installing OS X on a used macbook pro mid 2010

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.