Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating library hangs up

I recently upgraded to El Capitan and just tried to start the Photos app, but it now hangs up on "Updating Library" as soon as the app is started.

I've tried to reboot the OS and open again with no luck. It always hangs up at 18% and stays there.

I had successfully converted the iPhotos library a few months back and not used the app for a few months until I tried again after updating the OS a few days back.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 1:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 6:30 PM

Looks like a repair library by pressing alt-command on startup fixed this.

7 replies

Nov 23, 2015 10:15 AM in response to matherhamper

I have same problem, Photos has reached 17% Preparing Library and now stuck for several hours.

I've force quit the app, and tried numerous times to load it with Alt+CMD keys pressed, but no joy, it loads straight into the Welcome screen and the big blue button 'Get Started'.

Can anyone give me a clue on how to get to the repair option?

Cheers, Dave

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

UPDATE: Just found out how to do it. Continue to hold CMD+Alt keys while clicking on Get Started button. Now to see if the repair works.....

Nov 24, 2015 5:54 AM in response to doozy

Replying to my pwn post here, in the hope it helps others who may expereince same issue.

I managed to enter Repair mode as per above, however, when it tried to repair the iPhoto Library it gave the below error (Library could not be opened) when it reached 5%. Tried several times, and even reverted to original photo library from Time Machine backup and same effect each time.

User uploaded file

I decided to give the conversion one last try, and left it over night. By about 2 hours it was stuck at 17% again. However I decided to check the file system, and i could see that the preparation folders which Photos created where incrementing in number of files, and time stamp. So it looked like it wasn't stuck at 17% and was in fact performing the conversion of the library.

Result, This morning I find Photos is up and running with my photo library, all 285GB of it !! Phew!

User uploaded file

The original iPhoto library file size was 304GB, and after the conversion I have the two files as shown above. I presume it is safe to delete the 'iPhoto Library.migratedphotolibrary' file ? I'll backup and see what happens when I do.

Updating library hangs up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.