Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos not in photos but can't download from my phone

Ever since I signed up to iCloud I have no options to down load more than an arbitrary number of picture in Photos on my Mac. So I signed up in April, and Have a random selection of pictures from the intervening months.

When I plug my phone into Photos, it will offer me the most recent 44 or so pictures, but no more.

I would also like to be able to clear pictures off my phone without deleting them from iCloud.

Am I the only one who feels like iCloud is a bit of a swizz, as I am paying for 40GB of storage, but realistically only have the storage that I can hold on my 8GB iPhone.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009)

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 1:59 PM

2 replies

Oct 4, 2015 2:35 PM in response to frustratedrhubarb

frustratedrhubarb wrote:

Am I the only one who feels like iCloud is a bit of a swizz, as I am paying for 40GB of storage, but realistically only have the storage that I can hold on my 8GB iPhone.

That's not correct, you can keep optimised versions of your photos on your phone.

Optimisation is dynamic, it reduces the resolution of your photos as and when needed, so you may not notice it occurring at first. However when it is needed, it is very effective and users have reported libraries being optimised to much less than 10% of their original size in some cases. My own library is about 9% of its original size on my phone.

Photos not in photos but can't download from my phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.