Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updated to El Capitan and NetExtender stopped working

Updated to El Capitan and NetExtender stopped working. It was reported against earlier version of Mac and suggested solution was to perform following script "sudo chmod u+s /usr/sbin/pppd". It worked then but not now. This script on El Capitan throws "operation not permitted" error. It seems that PPPD is blocked even for root user... Any ideas? What is controlling my Mac???

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 3:05 PM

15 replies

Oct 5, 2015 4:29 AM in response to alexanedrfromdelta

I got Netextender to work, but it ain't pretty....

If you run the netextender application from the command line as root it will work as it's supposed to, but you will have to forego a GUI.

To start netextender open up a Terminal window and change to the NetExtender directory using: cd to /Applications/NetExtender.app/Contents/MacOS and run the following command:

sudo ./netExtender

If sudoers is configured correctly Mac OS X will ask for your password. NetExtender will start and ask you for the hostname (and port), userid, and finally password. After a while you will see the message "Connecting tunnel...". After this you should be able to access your VPN. When finished return to the Terminal window and press Ctrl-C to log out and close the VPN connection.

This should keep you going until Dell pulls their finger out....

Dirk

Oct 14, 2015 9:48 PM in response to LoIQinFLL

The instructions that LoIQinFLL gives do work. But I think this is more of a refined list.

You can start El Capitan in recovery mode. (command R) Then Tools->Terminal.

Then run:

$csrutil disable

Reboot

$sudo chmod a+s /usr/sbin/pppd

Run NetExtender to let do anything wants to do. It should then connect after that.

Reboot back into recovery mode. Then Tools->Terminal

$csrutil enable

Reboot yet again. You are now good to go.

This will allow the permission that NetExtender needs to be set. Then boot as normal and everything should be fine. The csrutil will ONLY work in recovery mode, so it has to be done in the manner described above.

Yes it's It's kind of a pain, but it does fix the problem. I am running 7.5.757

Updated to El Capitan and NetExtender stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.