Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are there problems with FCPX and 1080i clips?

Does anyone know of FCPX having issues importing and editing with 1080i video clips? My clips look while editing and export with a degraded look. I am using only optimized imported video clips.

Yhanks

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 4:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 7:23 AM

Are you letting the project settings be set automatically – based on the first clip?

What are your export (Share) settings?

Russ

7 replies

Oct 5, 2015 6:49 AM in response to Russ H

I tried both ways. First time I let the import use the information of the first clip. Then I erased that import, deleted the event and project, and retraced my steps. This time I chose the import setting to be 1080p. But when the clips imported they were still 1080i.

I believe that the clips being 1080i (interlaced) has a lot to do with why my footage seems "soft". Now I am trying to deinterlace the clips before I import them. Tried Brorsoft Video Converter. Converted file to .mov file, imported clip and it still was interlaced.

Do you know of another way to deinterlace the clips?

Oct 6, 2015 8:34 PM in response to John Lyons

You might also try doing this.

Use File > Share... to save the edited project as a Pro Res 4:2:2 master file.

Open that master file in Compressor, then export it as a 59.94 fps Progressive video file, with Retiming Quality set to Best (Motion Compensated). I have gotten good-looking progressive output video this way from my 29.98 fps interlaced HD video.

Oct 16, 2015 8:45 AM in response to John Lyons

Which camera?

Our Panasonic cameras' card contents are instantly available in FCPX. You do not see the folder structure on the P2 cards on the Import interface, you see the movies.

You may wish to archive the cards to your drive before (or after) you import your media.

Check the FCPX marketing pages to see if your camera is listed. It is, but you should check anyway.

Are there problems with FCPX and 1080i clips?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.