Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Running mac pro 1.1 on its max of lion why can't apple allow the boot efi to boot in 64 bit so we can install the latest software. This mac is very stable with 8 cores and 32gb of ram. Yosemite was running with piker's boot efi, why stop it?

As of october 2015 it would seem that apple have disabled the piker boot efi thus thrusting mac pro 1.1 users into the dark.

I am using a mac pro 1.1 and it ran smoothly in 64 bit mode on yosemite. Why are apple enforcing this lock out to users that have quite powerful systems that can handle the software.

I am frustrated by the continual progression in osx that is starting to block out users as the software limited to users that have been able to keep up. I'm now probably going to turn away from mac and seek a windows solution.

Can apple offer a clear reasoning that the mac pro 1.1 to 3.1 is not capable of running yosemite or el capitan?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Annoyed

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 5:57 PM

4 replies

Oct 4, 2015 8:58 PM in response to paulfromlowestoft

This is a User-to-User forum. So we do not speak for Apple.

I believe the control store on the earlier models is not large enough to hold the 64-bit microcode. The hobbyist hacks use additions placed in main memory instead of the control store.

Eventually these same guys will likely get around to updating this for 10.11:

http://oemden.com/sixty-four-on-thirty-two-sfott/

Running mac pro 1.1 on its max of lion why can't apple allow the boot efi to boot in 64 bit so we can install the latest software. This mac is very stable with 8 cores and 32gb of ram. Yosemite was running with piker's boot efi, why stop it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.