Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adanced ("power") search / discoverability?

I'm wondering if there's a more powerful, versatile way to search the iBooks store that I'm missing.

I recently rediscovered the Yellow Submarine interactive iBook that Apple gave away free several years ago (and which apparently has sadly been pulled from the store altogether, but that's a gripe for another time), and I'd like to see a list of all "Made for iBooks" iBooks - i.e. the interactive ones (typically made with iBooks Author these days). In iBooks for OS X 1.2, I only see two ways to do a search like that:

1. Search by title/author, then click the checkbox "Only Show Made for iBooks Titles"
  2. In the footer of every page, under Features -> Made for iBooks.

The problem with #1 is obvious; if I just want to see what all is out there, I won't yet know the titles/authors (and even if I did, I'm not about to run a separate search for every possible title/author).

Option #2 at first seemed to be just what I wanted, until I clicked it, and found it to be rather...concise. There are only a mere 6 categories represented, and clicking the deceptively named "See All" links in each category returns no more than 50 or so iBooks. There are a great many that aren't shown - just search for any common word using option #1, filter for "Made for iBooks" to see what I mean.

If there really aren't any better search options, I guess I won't be terribly surprised - we've endured the iTunes store's weak search functionality for years, and if anything it's only worsened (with the hiding of the Power Search awhile back).

Speaking of iTunes' hidden Power Search, I know it still has an option to search for books, but its own filters are only slightly better: Title/Author/Narrator/Description/ISBN; no "Made for iBooks" filter.

Thanks!

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 6:24 PM

There are no replies.

Adanced ("power") search / discoverability?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.