Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows Parition on External Hard Drive... with complications

Hello experts out there. I thank you in advance for your help. I have a MacBook Air Mid 2011 with 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5 processor, and memory 2 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 memory. I also have a 100 GB WD external hard drive I am currently using to back up my files on my Mac through time machine. From a previous computer I also have a copy of windows 7 home premium from a previous computer. My ultimate goal is to partition the external hard drive into three parts...

1) The first partition I would like to use an additional storage for my Mac

2) The second partition I would like to use to back up my Mac

3) The third partition I would like to use to run Windows so that I can play some of the old games I loved as a kid (roller coaster tycoon, a bridge too far, etc.)

If anyone has any idea how to download some of the old Close Combat: A Bridge Too Far Games for Mac that would certainly make this situation less complicated. However, in lieu of that working I would love some help making the above paritions happen. Thanks again and I would be happy to provide anymore information if that would make this easier.

mpz34

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 6:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 8:04 PM

The only method of installing/running Windows on an external disk is via a Thunderbolt disk. You can use #1 and #2 externally. You can also install OS X on an external TB/USB/Firewire disk and boot OS X from it.

Check OldApps for the games you want. Some of the older games may also work in a Virtual Machine depending on specific requirements.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2015 8:04 PM in response to mpz34

The only method of installing/running Windows on an external disk is via a Thunderbolt disk. You can use #1 and #2 externally. You can also install OS X on an external TB/USB/Firewire disk and boot OS X from it.

Check OldApps for the games you want. Some of the older games may also work in a Virtual Machine depending on specific requirements.

Windows Parition on External Hard Drive... with complications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.