Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I want to save a Final Cut Pro X project before making a change...

I understand there's no "save" command because FCP X is constantly saving my work in the background, but what if I'm unsure about something I'm about to try, and I want to save a version of my project prior to making the edit in question?

Am I correct in thinking the way to do that is to select File/Share/Master File?

And then if I realize the edit I was attempting actually messed everything up, I could revert to the previous version of my project by opening that master file I just saved?

Thanks for your guidance!

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 8:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 12:14 AM

The easiest way which only takes seconds is to control click the project's icon in the Browser and select either "Duplicate Project" or "Duplicate Project as a Snapshot".

The latter is only required if the project contains compound clips.

As it is just the tiny project file (of a few megabytes) that is saved, the process is virtually instantaneous.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2015 12:14 AM in response to flightsuit

The easiest way which only takes seconds is to control click the project's icon in the Browser and select either "Duplicate Project" or "Duplicate Project as a Snapshot".

The latter is only required if the project contains compound clips.

As it is just the tiny project file (of a few megabytes) that is saved, the process is virtually instantaneous.

If I want to save a Final Cut Pro X project before making a change...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.