Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport time capsule fan always running and loud

Brand new airport time capsule and the fan is always running. Installed today and the noise is white noise but still loud for a work area. Is it supposed to be running all the time?

thanks!

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 8:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2015 10:31 AM

Unfortunately, this sounds like a defective product. The Time Capsule on my desk sits maybe 3-4 feet, or about 1 meter, from my seat, and the only way that i know that it is on is to look at the power indicator light.

3 replies

Oct 24, 2015 10:31 AM in response to frier23

Buried into the airport utility is the diagnostics on your TC..

Let me try to show you everything in one go.. click on your TC and click edit on the summary.

You will then be able to open the diagnostics.

User uploaded file

You can open this and find the temperature setting as well as fan info.

Fan speed should be like mine.. about 1700 RPM.. and like Bob I cannot even hear it over the top of background noise.

User uploaded file

It also might show you a bad thermostat or bad fan.. There is a lot of info stashed away in there.

Knowing of course what is wrong is not fixing.. but it gives you help to get it replaced if you are outside of the 14day return with no questions period.

Return it to apple for replacement.

Airport time capsule fan always running and loud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.