Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan and NTFS, re boot problems

Hi folks,

I updated my iMac to El Capitan and noticed that it no longer could write to my NTFS external hard drive. In the past I have used NTFS 3G and Mac Fuse. This worked fine with Yosemite, but clearly no longer worked with El Capitan. As a result, I bought Paragon's NTFS X V14 for El Capitan. The install procedure demands a reboot.

On booting I found I was stuck with the gray screen and the Apple logo, and empty progress bar. I left it for a while, but it seemed to be stuck. I the then left it for 2 hours and the fan was blowing, but no progress.

Re booting to safe mode didn't work, neither did re booting to diagnostics. The only thing that worked was the cmd+r to bring me to OSX Utilities. I went for the time machine to restore, it found the Time M and I was able to select a suitable date. But I got a usage saying - 'this disc can't be erased".

So; I went of to apple support, paid the money to talk to someone and we went through all the things I had already done. Boot + s, Boot + d, Boot+ cmd+r, nothing worked. This was waste of time and money. In the Mac OS Utilities I tried again but time machine could not restore with message saying 'this disc can't be erased". I did a disk utility and first aid on all drives, no problems were found. In desperation, but knowing I have an up to date Time Machine, I selected re install OS. I expected this to create clean install and then from that I could use my time machine.

I was surprised that after the re install my Mac brought me back to everything - as it was before. I uninstalled Paragon's NTFS X V14 and rebooted, but found myself back to where I was before - grey screen empty progress bar, refused to do a safe boot and so on. I had to start all over again with recovery and again it brought be back to where i was just before I rebooted.

This time I went to my time machine and selected the first date after my El Captian install. Everything is now working fine, but I am very reluctant to reboot!

Any ideas, suggestions!

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11), probs with NTFS external HD

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 6:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 4:42 AM

I had the same problem:

At my mac I had installed virtual box and logitech control center.

After uninstalling both (you have to delete the logitech kext files in system library folder) every thing is working fine now!

8 replies

Oct 6, 2015 7:28 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Paragon's NTFS V14 is the latest version, specifically made for El Capitan. I have left the company two support tickets, but no response to date. I have since installed Tuxera NTFS X, latest version for El Capitan as it does not require a reboot. I also did the nano patch via terminal to name the external drive. I haven't rebooted, I am afraid to!

Mar 18, 2016 12:05 PM in response to almark.net

I have the same problem too, Mac book pro, retina, mid 2014 with El Capitan 10.11.3.

I installed Tuxera ntfs, last full version available on 18/Mar/2016. It works fine for two days or something. I can read/write on bootcamp partition. But after several reboots, my mac got stuck at Apple logo, around 75% progress bar. I did everything, reset everything, but no luck. At last I have to re-install the my OS.

What I notice is that, first my bootcamp partition totally disappears from Mac os. Then I reboot. Oh my goodness, it just got stuck there.

I just wonder why those bearded people do not use the same hdd format! It makes many users like us suffer a lot in times like this.

El Capitan and NTFS, re boot problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.