Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have received text saying my Apple ID has been blocked due to too many attempts. This is incorrect.I have been asked to log on to http:/ow.ly/T08LO. Is this OK or is it a scam.

I Have received text message saying my Apple ID is blocked due to too many attempts. This is incorrect. I have been asked to log on to ow.ly/T0L80 to change. Is this Ok or a scam.

<Link Edited by Host>

iPhone 5s, iOS 9, null

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 7:01 PM

13 replies

Mar 20, 2017 3:24 PM in response to Heatherladyh

I just received a text message from 855-211-3518 that reads:

APPLE: Apple ID associated with (my phone number) is locked. Reactivate your device at goo.gl/61oyME and update your account. User: (My FULL name, including middle name)

I didn't click the link. A Google search of the number that the text came from yields no results. My phone seems to be working fine, and I haven't made any failed login attempts that would trigger my ID being locked. I find it very disturbing that someone has my full name associated with my phone number. My middle name is very unusual, so it's not as if someone could have guessed at it by having seen my middle initial. Sure wish I could get a response from Apple, but when I called I was told by the recording that no reps were available and I need to call back later.

Mar 20, 2017 4:12 PM in response to Csound1

Yep, that's why I didn't click the link. Someone having my full name associated with my phone number just nags me though. This may sound far fetched, but I had a very negative experience with the manager of a Verizon store where I bought my 7 Plus from a month or so ago. I purchased the phone on a Saturday, and once I was back at my friend's house where I was staying, I discovered two things:

1. The iPhone would not pair via Bluetooth with my iPad Air, or my friend's MacBook Air. All OS's and iOS's involved were fully updated.

2. The iPhone knocked out the wifi network at my friend's home. Twice. It has done it 3 more times since then.

I was basically treated like a trespasser when I returned the following day. She didn't want to deal with my issue, and kept throwing me lame excuses, such as the iPad Air and MacBook Air (4 months old) being too outdated to pair with my phone. She also told me that it's impossible for an iPhone to knockout a wifi network, which I can assure you is absolutely false. I've seen it happen 5 times. After refuting each of her silly excuses, and her making no offer to bring another iPhone 7 Plus out to test, she got testy with me and claimed that I was being rude and needed to leave the store.

I reported her to Verizon, via twitter PM. She's probably been fired since, and she's the only one that I can think of that would have my full name associated with my number. We did not part on good terms. I never raised my voice or used offensive language, but I did tell she was a joke as a manager. Am I reaching too far with this theory?

I really appreciate the responses from everyone.

Mar 20, 2017 5:54 PM in response to stedman1

I must respectfully disagree with you on your comment. The 5S that I owned before connected to my iPad, no problem. The MacBook Air would recognize the iPhone 7 Plus and send it a code to pair, but it failed to connect every time I entered the code.

The odd thing about this 7 Plus is that even though it doesn't appear to recognize the iPad via Bluetooth, it will airdrop photos and video. That's all I was actually needing.

The blitzing that knocks out the wifi network is another matter entirely. When it first happened, there were multiple devices using the network, including a Sony Blu-Ray player (with apps), iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy, MacBook Air, iPad Air, and my 7 Plus. For 15 minutes or so nothing could access the Internet. On a hunch, I turned the wifi off on the 7 Plus and everything immediately came alive. IM's went out and came in. Facebook updated. Apps on the Blu-Ray player began working. I've witnessed this happen 4 more times since then.

It's really bizarre. A device that can shutdown a wifi network could effectively be used as a weapon of sorts, without the owner of the device even aware of what's going on. I'm not an "expert" at networking, but I've set wifi networks up for family and friends for at least 15+ years now. I've never seen anything like it.

Oct 4, 2015 7:03 PM in response to DAVEPOTTER1

Scam, do not reply. Try resetting Safari, perhaps unnecessary but little to lose by doing so. Close Safari completely from the multitasking window by double clicking the Home button and swiping up the Safari preview pane until it disappears from the screen. You may have to look for the Safari pane by scrawling to the left as there may be other panes there from other apps. Then go to Settings > Safari > Clear History and Website Data. Then do a forced restart. Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it comes up. You will not lose anything.

Jul 13, 2016 12:52 PM in response to DAVEPOTTER1

There is a new TEXT going around, the reply address is ****ow.ly/U4JK302dkHE. This links to an internet address apple.account.verification.ans-secure.uk

Surprise surprise it asks you to enter all your personal details including credit card details and 3 digit security number. Page looks like official apple website but it is a phishing site. Beware

<Link Edited by Host>

I have received text saying my Apple ID has been blocked due to too many attempts. This is incorrect.I have been asked to log on to http:/ow.ly/T08LO. Is this OK or is it a scam.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.