Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I unrate the automatic album rating iTunes provides?

The automatic album rating has always been annoying but until recently I've just been able to unrate the songs by having the "Album Rating" column open and clicking to the far left. Now when I try to do that, there's no response. How do I unrate these songs' albums? Or even better, is there a way to opt out of the automatic rating system so I don't keep getting these translucent stars messing up my rating system?

Windows 10

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 7:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 7:52 PM

You can still unrate, but only in the Album column. Follow the screenshots below. You'll end up unrate get the solid black stars. The Light gray will remain in the Album Rating column, but it will no longer affect track ratings, or smart playlists based on track ratings.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2015 7:52 PM in response to tonicarty

You can still unrate, but only in the Album column. Follow the screenshots below. You'll end up unrate get the solid black stars. The Light gray will remain in the Album Rating column, but it will no longer affect track ratings, or smart playlists based on track ratings.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Oct 4, 2015 9:12 PM in response to tonicarty

In the top tool bar, left to right: Music > Playlists > Songs (with small Artwork set to always show).

I also have the Sidebar enabled for easy navigation. To make additional columns visible, rich-click on any existing column heading (name) and select what you want added. The new column will appear to the right of the one you right-clicked on, but you can drag them around to rearrange.

Oct 5, 2015 6:52 AM in response to tonicarty

The hollow stars are autoratings generated because some of the tracks on the album have been rated. If you rate an album as 3 stars all unrated tracks get a 3 star autorated track rating. If you rate one track from an album as 2 stars, and another as 4, leave the rest unrated, the album gets autorated to 3 stars (the average of all manually rated tracks).

iTunes generates these autoratings on the fly. To clear them use my scripts ClearAlbumAutoRating and/or ClearTrackAutoRating which sets manual values of 1%. There are corresponding scripts to reset things if you want, ot to clear and reset track autoratings.

There currently seems to be another issue where syncing after tracks have been rated on a device may cause an album to gain a full rating. Hopefully Apple are aware of this issue and will resolve in a later build, but keep an eye out for unwanted changes.

tt2

Why can't I unrate the automatic album rating iTunes provides?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.