Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5s failing to recover, PLEASE HELP

I recently upgraded my iPhone 5s to the latest iOS 9.0.2 update. The phone is less than a year old.

After this upgrade, my phone decided that it was going to go into "Recovery Mode." For the first day it would only show the white start up screen, but now it is showing the "connect to iTunes screen." So I held down the home and the power button as I connected it to iTunes. I followed all of the instructions as it tried to recover and install the new software. It would finish the download but a pop up reading "Error 9" could hinder it from finishing completely. My iPhone screen would flash blue and then go back to the "connect to iTunes" screen, still locked in "Recovery Mode."

I did this countless times on 3 different computers. The same error keeps popping up. I have called Apple, only to be told that it is my computer security settings are what is blocking the download. I shut off my VPN and antivirus thinking that this was what was hindering it. But it still hasn't changed. I am currently deployed and I heavily rely on my phone to connect with my family back home. Please help!!!! Thank you in advance!

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 8:11 PM

3 replies

Oct 4, 2015 8:33 PM in response to hhogan12

It would be my pleasure to help but I am not sure I can do so, only try...

Get help with iOS update and restore errors - Apple Support

Error 9 is "Security software"

Sometimes security software can stop your device from communicating with either the Apple update server or with your device.

Check your security software and settings to make sure that they aren't blocking a connection to the Apple servers.

If you still see the error message, check for USB connection issues.

Do you have another cable you could use? Cables are prone to USB connection issues.

All I can offer you is a series of articles dealing with this type of issue. Maybe one of them will help:

Resolve iOS update and restore errors in iTunes - Apple Support

No response

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201412

Use Recovery Mode:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263

Try Recovery Mode:

Turn off your device.

Connect the device charging cable to the computer only (not to the iPhone or iPad yet).

Open iTunes.

Press and hold the power button on your device and don’t let go.

Connect the cable to the device while keeping the power button pressed down.

Wait until the computer detects the device and wait for it to restore.

Restore as New first and then restore from backup(s) if desired.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204686

If these do not help maybe someone else has an idea. I hesitate to say this but it could also be hardware related and if so your only option would be to take it in for evaluation. Good luck.

Oct 5, 2015 9:08 AM in response to hhogan12

hhogan12 wrote:

I am currently deployed and I heavily rely on my phone to connect with my family back home. Please help!!!! Thank you in advance!

Mr. Hogan, I hope that by now you have found a solution to your issue and that my previous post helped but in case you have not, I am replying here to "bump" your post and thus get other users to help a fellow serviceman, you deserve no less. I am also contacting by email a friend I have high up on the ASC Forum. He is a true expert, a gentleman, and I hope he can assist you.

Carlos (elcpu)

Oct 5, 2015 11:01 AM in response to hhogan12

Hi, not sure that I have anything guaranteed to resolve things either, but try Andrei Cerbu's post here, JF Fourie's post here, or see iPhone, iPad, or iPod not recognized in iTunes for Windows. Replace the device driver even if it appears to be installed correctly. I found I needed to have the device connected for it to appear in device manager. They try DFU mode to Restore.

If that doesn't sort it out try a full tear down and rebuild of iTunes, then try again. See Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates for general advice.

tt2

iPhone 5s failing to recover, PLEASE HELP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.