Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Leperdvil victim

I seem to have picked up the "Leperdvil" thing. My Macbook no longer has a dock, I can't sync with iTunes, but I can still access my Apple account. I called Apple support and some foreign guy was talking about $150 to fix the problem. I wasn't about to give somebody on the phone my credit card, even it I did dial the number. I also figured it must not be too involved to fix it, since it was so inexpensive. Can anyone help me?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 9:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 7:24 AM

Leperdvil is associated with Genieo adware. The ugliest and one of the most difficult to remove. I don't know who you called, but it definitely wasn't Apple.

You could try to follow Apple's manual instructions for removing adware, but it should be noted that Apple's manual removal instructions are typically outdated. As of now, they are way out of date.

You will have to manually remove the adware on your system and can find much more up-to-date instructions on The Safe Mac's adware removal page. There are many variations of Genieo. Since that name has become so vilified, the makers of this adware have since released variations of it under different names to try and avoid it being blocked.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2015 7:24 AM in response to gmcg100

Leperdvil is associated with Genieo adware. The ugliest and one of the most difficult to remove. I don't know who you called, but it definitely wasn't Apple.

You could try to follow Apple's manual instructions for removing adware, but it should be noted that Apple's manual removal instructions are typically outdated. As of now, they are way out of date.

You will have to manually remove the adware on your system and can find much more up-to-date instructions on The Safe Mac's adware removal page. There are many variations of Genieo. Since that name has become so vilified, the makers of this adware have since released variations of it under different names to try and avoid it being blocked.

Oct 9, 2015 11:45 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Hello Kurt,

Thank you for your response. The information you provided was spot on. The only thing preventing me from following the procedure is, since I no longer have a dock(or finder) available, I'm not sure how I access the the files I need to delete. I am 1000% Finder dependent, but it's gone.

In the PC world I would go to the control center. I don't have one of those on my MAC or at the least, I personally don't know how to access it. If you can provide information that I can use to access the files on the computer, I will certainly use the process provided to remove the malware.

I'm a 62 yr old, trying to have a working knowledge of my MAC, without taking a college course, and as long as MAC acts like it's supposed to, I do okay. Anything out of the ordinary throws me for a loop....... 😁. Thank you for your asistance, I appreciate it.

Gail Gladney

Oct 9, 2015 12:14 PM in response to gmcg100

If you click anywhere on the desktop, Finder should show as the active foreground app (its name will be next to the Apple logo at the upper left). If you aren't even seeing that, something is very badly botched and would likely first require reinstalling the OS before you could dig for the adware items to remove.

If you do see the Finder listed on the menu bar, click that and then choose Preferences. Under the General tab, turn on the check box for Hard disks so your startup drive (and any other mounted drives) appear on the desktop. You can then manually drill down through the necessary folders to remove the adware.

Pay very close attention to the removal instructions of Genieo or its variants. Done incorrectly, it can leave your Mac completely unbootable.

Leperdvil victim

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.