Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I direct the signal to a certain location in your home?

How do I direct the signal of my AirPort TimeCapsule to a certain location in my home? I heard that there was a way to direct the signal?

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 9:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 9:19 PM

Unfortunately, what you "heard" was not correct. Wireless routers like the Time Capsule broadcast the signal in all directions, similar to an expanding balloon.

The wireless signal will slow and weaken when it encounters any obstruction like a wall, ceiling, or heavy furniture, so best performance is obtained when you have line-of-sight between the Time Capsule and other wireless device.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2015 9:19 PM in response to Seth274

Unfortunately, what you "heard" was not correct. Wireless routers like the Time Capsule broadcast the signal in all directions, similar to an expanding balloon.

The wireless signal will slow and weaken when it encounters any obstruction like a wall, ceiling, or heavy furniture, so best performance is obtained when you have line-of-sight between the Time Capsule and other wireless device.

Oct 5, 2015 12:04 AM in response to Seth274

The Apple Genius?? is perhaps confused by the use of beam forming in 5ghz.

This means the client is detected to respond more strongly on some antennas in the matrix than others and so signal is more strongly directed to those antennas.. It is significant improvement to older MIMO systems used by N wireless. However it is far from directional and is automatic anyway.. if you still don't get signal well you won't get any improvement this way. You can try Bob's reflector.. A half can type will work.. at least to some extent whilst also blocking signal in the rest of your house from that side.

Small physical relocation of the AE can be effective if you happen to have metallic objects in the signal path. eg a mirror is a piece of metal.. tinted glass is a piece of metal.. to say nothing of reinforced concrete which is very much metal.. even the old lead based paint will block signal.

How do I direct the signal to a certain location in your home?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.