Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.2.2 crashing while previewing media

I am in a bachelor Degree Program and i have a assignments due, but FCPX keeps crashing on me. It is v 10.2.2. It does this when I preview imported content. If I reboot I am able to work for about 10 minutes and then it gives up the ghost on previewing imported content. Anyone else experiencing this? How to resolve?

It was doing the same thing in Yosemite, I upgraded to El Capitan. I am new to mac, but I am already very familiar with it since 1 year.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 8:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 6:01 AM

Start by deleting preferences: hold down command and option while starting FCP X, and confirm.

If it still crashes, try creating a new admin user account, and run FCP X in that account for a while. If it works ok there, then something in your own account is causing a conflict. Let us know how that goes.

8 replies

Oct 5, 2015 6:25 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I should have included a list of things I have tried already.

1. Started new Project 100 times.
  2. Trashed Preferences.
  3. Created New Admin Profile, repeated above.
  4. Tried 5 different USB 3.0 7200RPM external Hard Drives.
  5. Disconnected Audio Interface and used built in sound card.
  6. Upgraded OS to El Capitan
  7. Removed 3rd Party Plugins
  8. Reinstalled FCPX

My system is a Late 2012 iMac i5 and has 32 Gb of RAM, 512VRAM on NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M

Rebooting the system allows me to work flawlessly for about 10-15 minutes and then it starts acting up as I preview the clips. Seems like a cache file is overloading during the preview process. The reason I say this is because on a reboot it allows me to work flawlessly for 15 minutes before it acts up. At that point I have to force quit FCPX to get out. If I reopen the program it pinwheels on me right away when I hover over any of the content. Rebooting the system is the only way to clear it up to get anything done, but only 15 minutes. Has this maybe something to do with a Cache file? Or maybe my Hard Drive cache specs?

Oct 5, 2015 6:41 AM in response to Russ H

It is certified Quicktime content coming from my school and others are not having this problem. In addition to what I have already stated above. If I reboot the system, open FCPX and just let it sit there, it will not crash. If I leave it open in the background for example as I type this now I am looking at FCPX on screen, if I just occasionally check it to see if its still running it is good to go. It only crashes once it reaches a certain amount of content previewing.

Oct 5, 2015 6:50 AM in response to Russ H

Rebooting the system allows me to work flawlessly for about 10-15 minutes and then it starts acting up as I preview the clips. Seems like a cache file is overloading during the preview process. The reason I say this is because on a reboot it allows me to work flawlessly for 15 minutes before it acts up. At that point I have to force quit FCPX to get out. If I reopen the program it pinwheels on me right away when I hover over any of the content. Rebooting the system is the only way to clear it up to get anything done, but only 15 minutes. If I leave it open in the background for example as I type this now I am looking at FCPX on screen, if I just occasionally check it to see if its still running it is good to go. It only crashes once it reaches a certain amount of content previewing. Has this maybe something to do with a Cache file? Or maybe my Hard Drive cache specs?

10.2.2 crashing while previewing media

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.