Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro (Mid 2012) won´t erase partition Macintosh HD in Disk U.

Hey guys, im new a this so bare with me.

First thing that happened was i got the grey-white screen where when you turn it on, loads for like 1 min then shuts of. I tried NVRAM, COMMAND-R, SHIFT, OPTION, and thats it.

• NVRAM - the only thing that happened was that when i did this the light from the screen became brighter.
  • Presing shift for safe boot- nothing just took like 20 min to load and it stood there in the apple logo and the it shut off
  • Presing Command R took me to online OS X Utilities. In this part i tried Reinstalling OS X but after getting the license eligibity verified when the option to choose a disk shows up i only have the RECOVERY HD as an option and when i click it, it says its locked. So i decided to erase the Macintosh HD after this in Disk utility so i clicked on Macintosh HD where it gives you the option on the left ( by the way the letters are really dim compared to the top ones) went to erase and clicked on ´Mac OS extended Journaled´ then clicked on erase and this showed up - VOLUME ERASE FAILED- Volume erase failed with the error - COULDNT OPEN DISK. So i closed eveything and tried something different
  • When Presing Option key and restarting it it only gives me one option to pick a drive, MACINTOSH HD, before it gave me both. When i choose the macintosh a PROHIBITION SIGN come up. If i leave it for like a minute a FOLDER WITH A QUESTION MARK comes up flashing and it just stays there. The first couple of times the option to choose the recovery disk was visible and i picked it. When i clicked it It was very odd that the system resotre option was Mountain Lion and not Yosemite as it does when i do the Online recovery option

So at the end what i did was, i took out the hard drive from the macbook pro, took an adaptor i had to connect it as an external hard drive to a pc, and saved all my data onto a pc.

THIS IS MY QUESTION ---- WHAT CAN I DO TO RESTORE TO FACTORY SETTINGS OR ORIGINAL SETTINGS, WITHOUT WORRYING ABOUT ANY DATA LOSS AND TAKING ALL THIS INTO ACCOUNT

I appreciate your time

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), please help!

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 10:13 PM

2 replies

Macbook Pro (Mid 2012) won´t erase partition Macintosh HD in Disk U.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.