Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to use contents of cell returned with ADDRESS function…

I have a few tables and want to calculate a value referencing cells in other tables depending but use a controlling cell in this table to choose which column to pull values from in the other tables. Like a master switch.

I could just use the Choose function as it turns out. Something like =CHOOSE(B$2,Table 1::B5, Table 1::C5, Table 1::D5, Table 1::E5, Table 1::F5) x Price but if I start messing around with the tables and autofilling cells with these formulas it is not clean or reliable.

I figured the ADDRESS function must be what I want but it returns a string reference to the cell, not the cell contents which is what I'm after.

So is there a function to evaluate this =ADDRESS(B2,ROW(Table 2::$A$12),4,1,"Table 2") which returns this: Table 2::L1 into what that cell actually contains for use in a calculation? Something like Eval() in JavaScript?

EDIT:
Just found INDIRECT but =INDIRECT (B2,) where B2 equals the formula above which returns Table 2::L1 just gives me another syntax error.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), wacom tablets, 2x 27" Dells U2713HM

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 11:58 PM

1 reply

how to use contents of cell returned with ADDRESS function…

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.