Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan boot and login extremely slow

Dear all,

after an update from Mavericks to El Capitan my Macbook 2008 (4 GB ram, 2 GHz Intel core2duo) has become extremely slow. Boot needs about 3-5 minutes, but differs. Additionally, a progress bar comes up under the apple, which I knew from Mavericks only when I started from a sleep image.

After boot, it needs about 1 min until the login window responds to any mouse clicks.

And logging into an account needs additional ~1 min until the menu bar and the dock are visible, after that any mouse clicks are extremely delayed (10-30 sec!) for about 10 min, then it becomes a little bit more fluent. But application starts are still very, very slow. (My coffee consumption rises exponentially since I'm sitting in front of a macbook and nothing happens...)

I worked about 16h now with El Capitan. So it shouldn't be any spotlight problem. I tried a repair with the disk utility, but everything was fine.

History: Worked years with Snow Leopard (fine), jumped over Lion and ML, did a clean install of Mavericks (fine), jumped over Yosemite and updated (not clean, because of M$ office licenses) to El Capitan (not fine).

Does anybody have an idea?

Regards

KB

MacBook, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 1:32 AM

11 replies

Nov 30, 2017 9:40 AM in response to AndyVideoLog

Had the beachball everywhere. Couple seconds of it before the password prompt appears on wake up and login: beachball. Half-way into typing the password: beachball. Press enter on password: beachball. Hover over menu bar after desktop appears: beachball. The menu bar would also be all around unresponsive throughout the day and always took several seconds to update the battery/charging status, to display when the VPN is connecting or connected, or when refreshing the clock after hours of sleep.

AndyVideoLog's fix (see image) completely and immediately fixed the issue for me, no reboot needed. It's been about a day now and it hasn't disappeared then reappeared like it did after the upgrade from Sierra to High Sierra and from 10.13.0 to 10.13.1. I'm using a 2017 MacBook Pro with FileVault 2.

User uploaded file

Oct 8, 2017 6:30 AM in response to saitenschlager

After weeks of searching the internet I could not find the answer to a similar problem. I upgraded to a Pcie SSD (1400mb/s read/ 1430 mb/s write) and restored the SSD from my older sata 3 SSD. Everything worked fine and boot up was really quick, but after logging in it would take 1 to 2 minutes for all my hard drives to show up, I have 8 drives in total. During this time I would get the beachball or just really slow logins. I just fixed the issue today, it was permissions. This is on Sierra 10.12 so it may be a little different but if I can help one person from going through this than job well done.

THE FIX

1. Go to your boot hard drive

2. Go to Users

3. Right Click on Home Icon with admin name

4. Click get info

5. On the very Bottom unlock by pressing the lock icon and entering your password

6. Click on the setting icon and click apply to all sub folders.

This worked for me.

Oct 5, 2015 10:44 AM in response to saitenschlager

Greetings saitenschlager,

Thanks for the question. If I understand correctly, the computer takes a while to boot to the desktop. I would recommend that you read this article, it may be able to help the issue.

Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck - Apple Support

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.
Take care

Oct 5, 2015 11:34 AM in response to grdh20

Now, thank you all guys!

I'm glad that you answered to my question.

Unfortunately, first 2 hints did not help - I repaired the disk, and I never used FileVault.

And, yes, I cleared up system startup services, at least from my individual startup items.

Next I will turn off my antivirus program (avast!), see if this helps. But this should not affect the boot process.

The 3rd might be an option, but... we are 4 people with 6 (MacBooks, iMacs) and one Mac Pro and a central storage, and everyone takes the computer which is just free, so I would have to copy 4 accounts. Maybe I'll wait a couple of days.

BTW, I followed another hint and left the macbook a few hours alone, and I think it got better.

I'll keep you informed!

Cheers,

saitenschlager

Feb 13, 2016 9:09 AM in response to saitenschlager

Although I have not yet found the reasons for the poor performance of El Capitan on my Mac Mini, I have found a workaround that is almost 100% effective.

Early in the boot-up process, the screen displays a gray Apple logo with a narrow gray progress bar below. The progress bar increases in length noticeably for about a minute, but then slows significantly at about the 60%-70% mark. At this point, I press and hold the power button on the back of the computer for five seconds, which causes the computer to shut down. Then I immediately press the power button again to initiate another start-up. I find that it proceeds normally and quickly, and that I no longer get the spinning beachball every few seconds all day long.

I don’t know if it is relevant, by my machine is configured NOT to display a login dialog on start-up.

If you find this workaround to be successful for you, please add a posting here. It may eventually help us diagnose this problem better.

If you have skill in interpreting console messages, I could post messages before and after the forced shutdown. That might also help us diagnose this problem better.

My configuration: Mac Mini, late 2009, 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB internal disk with 130 GB partition for El Capitan, 1 TB Western Digital FireWire 800 external disk for Time Machine

El Capitan boot and login extremely slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.