Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

White Screen on Reboot after El Capitan Update

I have updated to El Capitan and everything is fine up until I need to restart my iMac. It loads up to the initial white screen with the Apple logo and progress bar stays at zero. I have tried running first aid and am unable to boot in safe mode. My only option each time I have tried is by pressing cmd+r on startup and then to either restore from backup, or reinstall El Capitan.

I have also lost the ability to write to my external drive and its status is now read only.

I have read in a couple of places that Little Snitch may be causing the reboot failure problem. Does anyone have any more information on this issue?

Thank you.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 4:23 AM

11 replies

Sep 22, 2016 11:09 PM in response to nigel_f

Really struggled with this one...did the shift-boot, the option-command-p-r boot, got rid of kext files and that gave some breathing room. But still predictable white screen boots not all the time but too often. So I took my Late 2011 MacBook Pro to the Apple store and they did a diagnostic on it .. in ten seconds they knew it was a hardware issue...the graphics-card attached to the motherboard was history. The 1-year warranty was long expired but was told that Apple had identified this as an issue with my model...and so I qualified for the free repair/replacement that would have costed me close to $900 (which I wouldn't have done if I had to pay for it myself...I would have looked into getting a newer machine otherwise). I was told my Mac was almost vintage and I was lucky that the program was in place...because not too long from now my Mac won't be serviceable by Apple, it being too old. Thank you Apple for your program...I am grateful. Problem solved!

White Screen on Reboot after El Capitan Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.