Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop photos from automatically opening after El capitan

Ever since I updated to El Capitan I can't stop photos from opening everytime I plug in a iPad cart. I"ve seen the help on stoping ONE device from this issue but how do I stop 100's of iPads from this?

iPad 2, iOS 7.0.3, null

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 6:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 5:23 AM

Education Customers
Support: 1-800-800-2775
Sales: 1-800-780-5009

9 replies

Oct 8, 2015 5:26 AM in response to rccharles

Thanks rrcharles for the number. Apple's support was very helpful and tried there best to figure this issue out, but I was basically told that I need to unchecked "Open Photos for this device" under the import tab in Photos for every single iPad until there is a obvious fix to this small over-site for those of us that use Apple configurator with iPad carts still. Also you can open up Image Capture when the cart is plugged in, and for each iPad one at a time change the "Connecting this iPad opens" to No Application. Hopefully when they have another update they will put back the option that was there before.

I guess let this be a warning to anybody thinking about updating to El Capitan.

Oct 16, 2015 1:22 PM in response to Centauri0

Did the person say Apple would look into it? File a bug report, etc.?

Get an account at

http://developer.apple.com/ then submit a bug report to http://bugreporter.apple.com/

Once on the bugreporter page,

-- click on New icon

-- See if you need to attach a log file or log files, clicking on Show instructions for gathering logs. Scroll down to find the area or application that matches the problem.

-- etc.

Nov 20, 2015 6:32 AM in response to rccharles

Unfortunately, this isn't a bug. Apple removed that preference from this app. There was a preference in iPhoto/iTunes etc. and there was even a terminal command you could run to stop it (defaults write com.apple.ImageCapture disableHotPlug -bool YES) but it doesn't work in El Capitan, I've tried.

Our only recourse I'm afraid, is to keep searching internet forums until someone has figured it out with a new command that works, like above, because I'm not confident Apple isn't going to say "It works as intended." I'm old enough to remember Apple getting its foot hold in the industry, back in the day by giving computers to schools and supporting them.

Nov 20, 2015 9:29 AM in response to jmatteson8

Ok, this is what I came up with to solve this, at least temporarily.

I disabled SIP(System Integrity Protection) first by rebooting to the recovery drive. You can do this booted to an installer flash drive too.

I then opened Terminal. I entered < $ crsutil disable; reboot >. This disables SIP and reboots computer.

Once computer rebooted, next I located and right clicked on the Photos.app icon then "get info". Unlocked the get info pane with my admin password and changed the permissions for everyone to no access. Since I never use Photos.app on this laptop I figured this was safe enough.

I just use configurator to wipe three iPads and Photos.app didn't open. So... there you go.

Dec 16, 2015 7:36 AM in response to jmatteson8

Thanks for this info jmatteson8. I may try this b/c I'm still running Configurator 1 on El Capitan and Photos launching really hangs Configurator up to where it won't respond- I have to reboot the mac often, too. I do sometimes move movies off devices for students though since they are supervised. Not sure what my next step should be. Thanks!

Jan 11, 2016 5:37 PM in response to Centauri0

Do you need the Photos.app available for people to use, or is this a deployment machine where you can "disable" that app? If you don't need the app for anything here is what I did in my photo lab where students are using Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop.

Restart and hold Command+R to go into recovery mode. Open "Terminal", found in the "Utilities menu" and use the commands

$ csrutil disable; reboot

to disable SIP.

Once the computer restarts, go into the Applications folder and "Get Info" on the Photos.app. Twirl down the permissions section and set "Everyone" to "No Access". This will keep the app installed, but nobody can open it.

Restart and hold Command+R to go into recovery mode. Open "Terminal", found in the "Utilities menu" and use the commands

$ csrutil enable; reboot

This will reenable SIP. Now when you plug in your iPad cart (or anything else that has photo's on it) the Photos.app will not start (well it starts, then stops immediately).

Let me know if this works!

**** Guess I should have read the whole thread. Seems this answer has already been given.

Stop photos from automatically opening after El capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.