Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 2011 hard drive upgrade

Hi everyone

My iMac mid 2010 21.5" hard drive has given up, and I want to upgrade it. Being slightly ignorant to the different hard drive specs, I thought I would make 100% sure what I should purchase. I don't want to buy something that is not compatible.

I have a few options (we are limited in South Africa to a small number of WD and Seagate HDDs). I can pick from the WD Blue, Red, Green & Black range, but i am assuming that the Blue range will be best. See this link for reference: http://www.takealot.com/all/?qsearch=WD+blue&_sb=1&_dt=all&_r=1

In summary: I need to replace my iMac mid 2010 21.5" hard drive, and would like to know what will be compatible.

Thanks guys

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 6:48 AM

1 reply

Oct 5, 2015 8:39 AM in response to PoppedRedBalloon

Any 3.5" Sata II or lII drive will work. However, after 2009 Apple began using HD's that had temp sensors integrated into them. This means you will need to get a solution to control the fans. OWC (USA based) makes a solution, I would recommend contacting them at www.macsales.com (they have a chat line or you can call them) and order the cable they make.

iMac 2011 hard drive upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.