Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After installing El Capitan, I can not find my printers

After installing El Capitan, my Epson printers are no longer available via my internal WiFi.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 6:49 AM

11 replies

Oct 5, 2015 11:41 AM in response to edblake

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Oct 6, 2015 2:29 PM in response to Linc Davis

Nope - nothing works. El Capitan has eaten my HP 7216. I've tried restarting everything (Mac,printer, router), new drivers, clearing the printer list, resting the printer system, starting in safe mode, the lot. The printer has vanished from the list and cannot be found, although it assures me that it is still connected to my wifi network. Argh. Why did I do this to myself? I normally never install updates until all the bugs have gone, but I was procrastinating yesterday....

Oct 7, 2015 1:03 AM in response to Linc Davis

My reply to this seems to have disappeared - I've tried all the things suggested here, plus turning on and off all hardware, (re)installing drivers, reconnecting all devices to wifi, starting in safe mode, clearing printer settings, and NOTHING works. El Capitan simply refuses to acknowledge that I have a printer. The printer list is blank and no amount of clicking + finds it.

Oct 7, 2015 1:54 AM in response to edblake

Update - I've actually fixed this now, but it was slightly odd and very simple. When I did the upgrade, it joined a different wifi network. I have no idea why - I didn't ask it to change, or why it forgot my network and connected to a random network. Once I realised I was running a diagnostic on the wrong network, I reconnected to my own network, and hey presto, there's my printer. I've now also ticked the "ask before joining other networks" box, so hopefully it won't happen again.

Also - if all that fails, I did manage to at least get the printer going by searching for it by IP address. This is not a driver problem, it's a wifi connection problem, which is why lots of different brands are being affected.

Oct 7, 2015 2:28 AM in response to edblake

I upgraded on Saturday to El Capitan. My Ricoh printer can be seen by my Mac and will print a test page but when I try to print from Mac mail (which also will not work with Yahoo since upgrade) or Word or any other application it comes up with an error message in the print queue "Filter".

Also had problems with iPhone and Yahoo mail. My Inbox told me I had 4,294,967,295 not read ( I have a photo as proof!)

Never expected this number of major problems from Apple! I have been told a solution is a week away.

After installing El Capitan, I can not find my printers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.