Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Target display mode not wokring after upgrading to El Capitan

Hello,

I am using a mid-2015 MBP 15" with an mid-2011 iMac 21" as the secondary display using Target Display Mode.

When both were running Yosemite, TDM works fine but after I upgrade the MBP to El Capitan, activating TDM only results in the iMac showing a big bar across the screen with the screen gradually goes dark. Hitting CMD-F2 again the iMac returns normal.

First, I thought the iMac needs to be also in El Capitan, but after upgrading the iMac, the situation remains so.

Any help would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 7:30 AM

12 replies

Nov 30, 2015 11:57 AM in response to Griffin Cheng

You guys try a PRAM reset? Friend of mine had the same issues, reset PRAM on both machines and they are now working fine!

PRAM RESET

•Shut down the computer.

•Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

•Turn on the computer.

•Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

•Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

•Release the keys.

Mar 7, 2016 5:09 AM in response to Griffin Cheng

It's working fine with El Cap. I have a 2011 Macbook Pro connection to 2013 iMac. There are two modes - mirror and extended. Mirror does just that and extended allows you to use both displays simultaneously. Under System Pref<Displays click on the tab Arrangement. I was expecting the default to be Mirror and it's Extended. Also, upgrade both machines to latest El Cap and then reset SMC.

Jul 13, 2016 11:13 AM in response to Griffin Cheng

I was experiencing the same problem and turns out the solution for me was simple (yet silly) - my machine is apparently picky which end of the Thunderbolt cable is plugged into it. I simply swapped ends of the cable and BOOM! it worked. Had already tried resetting SMC & PRAM on both machines w/ no result. Simply turning the cable around resolved (Apple branded Thunderbolt cable, BTW).

Target display mode not wokring after upgrading to El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.