Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

after upgrading to IOS 9.0.2, am unable to import photos from my iPhone 6s to my mac Photos/Image Capture app

after upgrading my 6S to iOS 9.0.2, i found that Photos app on mac OS X is unable to detect any photos in my iPhone when plugged in with the lightning cable. instead, my iPhone shows up under section "Import" as simply "Apple iPhone" instead of the actual iPhone name that I had set, and showing the text "No Photos". i experience the same behaviour for both Photos app on mac OS X Yosemite and El Capitan.

i also tried importing using "Image Capture", but experienced the same issue for both Yosemite and El Capitan, i.e. no photos were detected (shows up as "No Photos"), and under devices, "Image Capture" app shows "Apple iPhone" instead of the actual iPhone name that i used.

anyone else experiencing this issue or know how to solve it? obviously i have done the basics in multiple permutations to no avail: restarting the Photos app on both macs, restarting my macs, using different lightning cables, using different UBS ports, restarting my iPhone etc.

given the fact that El Capitan and iOS 9.0.2 were released within days of each other, others who experienced photo import issues might be attributing this to the El Capitan upgrade (rightly or wrongly, am still unclear here). but my testing with another mac running Yosemite and failing to import/detect photos suggest otherwise. appreciate any help/wisom. thanks.

products used:

iPhone 6S, 128GB, iOS 9.0.2

MacBook Pro Retina 15" (late 2013), 2.6Ghz i7, 16GB, El Capitan 10.11

iMac 27" (mid 2011), 3.1Ghz i5, 8GB, Yosemite 10.10.5

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 7:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 2:19 PM

Simple thing to try first. Reset your iPhone. Press and hold both the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button continuously until the Apple logo appears. Then release the button and let the device restart. You will not lose data doing this. It's like a computer reboot.

14 replies

Oct 8, 2015 4:19 PM in response to malaccan

update:

i restored my iPhone 6s to the factory setting for iOS 9.0.2 and with a clean slate, Photos was able to detect my iPhone and import photos (i took a few random photos to test). however, after restoring from my backup, Photos was not able to detect or import any photos at all from my iPhone.

Turns out, i have in excess of 90,000 photos in my camera roll - and i started deleting them and pairing it down to around 12,000. when i tried importing my photos again, this time with a lot less photos, Photos was able to detect my iPhone and successfully imported the photos!

for those facing a similar issue as me, check if you have a large number of photos in your camera roll - if you do, i suggest backing up your iphone first, and then try deleting a bunch of photos before attempting to re-import. hope this helps.

Nov 1, 2015 10:30 PM in response to malaccan

I have the exact same issue and its beyond frustrating. I upgraded to El Cap on my MacBook pro and new OS on my iPhone 6. I have tried resetting, restoring, turning off and restarting both whilst connected, whilst disconnected, changed cables and still no success - neither Photos nor Image Capture recognizes my phone and just says "Apple iPhone", yet ITunes does recognize my phone...beyond me. 90000 photo's is a fair amount, I have about 12000 and still have heaps of capacity left. My concern is if I delete all of them (as they're all in the cloud), how do I actually download them to back on my phone/Mac. So confused.....and beyond annoyed.

after upgrading to IOS 9.0.2, am unable to import photos from my iPhone 6s to my mac Photos/Image Capture app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.