Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with System Image Utility in El Capiton

Since upgrading to El Capitan, I haven't been able to create a NetInstall Boot Image. I am trying to create the .nbi on a standalone computer with El Capitan installed on it and also Server.app version 5.0.4. I have the same version of Server.app on the computer setup as our Server, but still running Yosemite 10.10.5 on it. I can create the .nbi from the standalone computer with the El Capitan installer on it, but then I try to copy it to the NetBootSP0 folder on the Server and receive the message "The Finder can't complete the operation because some data in "booted" can't be read or written. (Error code -36)". I have completed this process in prior OS X versions and System Image Utility without issues. I know the El Capitan version of System Image Utility has more options available, I have not changed any from the default. I also tried saving the .nbi folder directly to the Server NetBootSP0 folder to see if that would work, but I was unable to boot to it from a standalone computer after it was created. Is there one of the settings that I need to change in creating the .nbi or something else I should try to get the NetInstall image to work correctly. Thank you.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 7:55 AM

14 replies

Oct 5, 2015 8:58 AM in response to Ron Engel1

Ron Engel1 wrote:

I also tried saving the .nbi folder directly to the Server NetBootSP0 folder to see if that would work, but I was unable to boot to it from a standalone computer after it was created. Is there one of the settings that I need to change in creating the .nbi or something else I should try to get the NetInstall image to work correctly. Thank you.

Had the same issue. What you have to do is go into the Server app / NetInstall service and make sure your Network Image for El Capitan is accessible (Make Available Over) over NFS, NOT HTTP.

Oct 5, 2015 9:16 AM in response to keg55

I always go in and change the Available setting from HTTP to NFS, but I tried it again to make sure I didn't forget. It didn't correct my issue. I see the NetInstall Image when I reboot the computer and hold down the "Option" key to select the boot device, but when I select that install image I created and set the make available to NFS, it just boots to the internal hard drive instead. I've also tried setting my Startup Disk in System Preferences to the NetInstall image to see if that might force it to boot to the image, and that doesn't work either.

Oct 5, 2015 9:21 AM in response to Ron Engel1

Hmmmm... All I can think of is maybe for some reason the Network Image didn't get created correctly. I know El Capitan's System Image Utility is a bit different than prior OS X's. I made my image from the Server and I remember the last thing was to change the NFS setting. I was able to use it to upgrade a MBP Retina to El Capitan over the network.

Oct 5, 2015 9:24 AM in response to Brian Nesse

Brian Nesse wrote:

If this solved your problem, it's because your HTTP service wasn't started correctly. Toggling the NetInstall service off, and back on, should fix this.

No. I don't use the Web service. So, my issue had nothing to do with that. Adding a Network Image to the NetInstall service will always default to HTTP as the method to access the image.

Oct 5, 2015 9:40 AM in response to Brian Nesse

You are correct. It is "booter". Auto-correct changed it. I tried copying to another location on the Server and had the same issue. I also tried copying the .nbi folder to another location on the standalone computer and that copied without issue. I haven't yet tried to copy it to an external drive and see if that will let me copy it to the Server. I will try that to see if that gives me the error or not.

Oct 5, 2015 11:17 AM in response to Ron Engel1

I created a NetRestore and it gave me the same error when I tried to copy the .nbi folder to the Server across our network. I copied the NetInstall to an external drive successfully and then copied that folder into the NetBootSP0 folder on the Server. It appears the error is being caused by trying to copy the .nbi folder over the network. Not sure why that is happening. I have to recreate the restore and see if I can copy it in the same manner and get it to work.

Oct 5, 2015 12:25 PM in response to Ron Engel1

I copied a Netinstall Image folder (.nbi) over the network to my Mac Mini Server and placed it in the /Library/NetBoot/NetBootSP0 folder and it's accessible.

You probably already know this, that with a NetInstall Image your client Macs have to be connected to ethernet to see the image at restart using the Alt/Option key.

Oct 5, 2015 12:34 PM in response to keg55

Yes, I know they have to be connected to the same network. I don't get that far. After copying the NetInstall .nbi folder to an external hard drive and then copying it into the NetBootSP0 folder, I don't receive any error and the image is working correctly. The only issue I'm having at this point is not being able to drag the .nbi folder directly to the Server over the network.

Problems with System Image Utility in El Capiton

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.