Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No longer using the Time Capsule as Router, cannot connect to it

Hello,

I have an Apple Time Capsule (older generation) that we used to use as the Wi-Fi Router. We moved apartments and the new internet provider requires us to use their router. Since this happened I haven't been able to connect to the Time Capsule or to back up my computer.

Any ideas as to how to resolve this issue?

Time Capsule-OTHER, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 8:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 8:45 AM

The Time Capsule is remembering the settings that it used to connect to your "old" network, and it has no idea how to connect to your "new" network.

The solution is to reset the Time Capsule back to default settings, connect an Ethernet cable from one of the LAN <--> ports on your ISP router to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule and then set up the Time Capsule again.

The Time Capsule wireless will normally far out perform the wireless of routers supplied by most Internet Service Providers, so you might want to check that out to find out whether to use the existing wireless or the Time Capsule wireless for normal use. You can then designate the "other" network for use by guests, or the kids.....something like that.

It is also possible to turn off the wireless function on the router if you don't need two networks.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2015 8:45 AM in response to TekilaPenguin

The Time Capsule is remembering the settings that it used to connect to your "old" network, and it has no idea how to connect to your "new" network.

The solution is to reset the Time Capsule back to default settings, connect an Ethernet cable from one of the LAN <--> ports on your ISP router to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule and then set up the Time Capsule again.

The Time Capsule wireless will normally far out perform the wireless of routers supplied by most Internet Service Providers, so you might want to check that out to find out whether to use the existing wireless or the Time Capsule wireless for normal use. You can then designate the "other" network for use by guests, or the kids.....something like that.

It is also possible to turn off the wireless function on the router if you don't need two networks.

Oct 10, 2015 3:45 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Hello ,

I'm exactly in the same situation. We have been using our Time capsule both as Router and Wifi External Hard Drive for about 6 month. We also have a regular TM back up. We are now currently in between houses and I still want to use the TC as a regular Hard drive in the meantime without internet access (we're kind of on the move all the time and do not necessarily have internet access around).

I am very scared to 'reboot' it to another configuration ; both because we have stored quite a lot of sensitive data on it and because we will obviously re-use it as our regular router at some point.

Is it 100% sure that if I actually change the settings back to default I will still be able to access our old folders in 'data' and/or actually not format the TC ?

Oct 10, 2015 4:19 AM in response to JF2W

No reset affects files on the hard disk of the TC.. it is only by going to the disk tab and erasing it that you can actually delete the disk.

You can use it as a stand alone wireless backup device.. but if you are getting internet from another source the setup is rather tricky.. it is better and easier to put the TC into the current network..

As a general comment.. no sensitive data should ever be stored on only one disk.. ever.

You are trusting everything to one very ordinary disk..

You should plug a USB drive into the TC of equal size to the TC disk or larger.. and archive those files.. NOW.. TODAY.

Archive is built in function of the TC.

User uploaded file

Don't click erase... although you have to go through a confirmation so it is not that difficult.. the RED square around ARCHIVE.. use that one.

No longer using the Time Capsule as Router, cannot connect to it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.