Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If you turn off icloud drive, all documents stored in icloud will be deleted from this pc-???

I was thinking about getting rid of iCloud, but when I opened the iCloud application on my 64-bit Win7 PC and unchecked 'iCloud Drive', I got this message.

I don't understand. my documents are MY documents.

They don't belong to iCloud. If i turn off iCloud Drive, why would any documents be deleted from my PC?

How do i find out what documents are supposedly going to be deleted?

There is apparently no way that I can go to 'iCloud' and view what's stored there in a file/folder view.

iCloud is only supposed to be a 'cloud' backup and multi-device sharing space.

When I activated iCloud, I never knowingly authorized iCloud to remove any documents from my PC, under any circumstances.

This is one reason why I distrust 'cloud services' in general - the intent seems always to persuade people to put their data where it are no longer under their own secure control.

This makes no sense-what am i missing?

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 8:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 8:07 AM

autochthon wrote:

This makes no sense-what am i missing?

Common sense and some basic logic skills, apparently.

Just move the files to another folder on your PC before you turn off iCloud drive.

11 replies

Oct 5, 2015 8:48 AM in response to autochthon

autochthon wrote:

I was thinking about getting rid of iCloud, but when I opened the iCloud application on my 64-bit Win7 PC and unchecked 'iCloud Drive', I got this message.

I don't understand. my documents are MY documents.

No-one disagrees with that

They don't belong to iCloud. If i turn off iCloud Drive, why would any documents be deleted from my PC?

When you sign out of an account (like your bank) it is normal to lose access to the content of the account

How do i find out what documents are supposedly going to be deleted?

That would be the ones you put there

There is apparently no way that I can go to 'iCloud' and view what's stored there in a file/folder view.

There is more than one way

iCloud is only supposed to be a 'cloud' backup and multi-device sharing space.

That may be your idea of what it should be, but that is not what it is, reality wins

When I activated iCloud, I never knowingly authorized iCloud to remove any documents from my PC, under any circumstances.

But that is exactly what you did, in future try reading what you agree to, it makes for less confusion after you do it

Oct 6, 2015 2:42 PM in response to Csound1

FInally located icloud drive in windows explorer; no documents there, but in icloud control application it shows several gigabytes of data is stored there. This may consist of photos since i had photos checked, but i copied those back to a new hd folder so i'm assuming it's ok to delete icloud drive. The way the alert is worded is vague; if they meant "all docs stored in icloud drive will be deleted from your pc if you don't first copy them from the icloud drive to a different location on your pc", the alert should say that.

If you turn off icloud drive, all documents stored in icloud will be deleted from this pc-???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.