Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mid-2011 27" iMac Nightmare

Ok here goes. Last year in October, about 2 weeks out of my extended warranty and immediately after installing Yosemite, my computer started making a buzzing noise. I had no idea what it was, so I contacted Apple and told them that this only started happening after installing Yosemite and I am right out of warranty and they were reasonable and said to bring it in to the store and they would check it out and fix whatever it was at no cost due to the circumstances. I dragged the computer into the mall and spent an hour at the store, and they did not find anything wrong with the computer. It didn't even make the buzzing noise that had been happening for the past few days. They wanted to keep it for a week, but I needed it for work so I said I would bring it back if it continued.

Throughout the next year, it happened intermittently, until this summer when the buzzing was persistent even with the display off. I thought it was a fan, but after researching on here and other sites, I determined it was the power supply. Foolishly, not wanting to spend 600-700 or however much they would charge me to install it at the apple store, I purchased an OEM power supply and put it in myself. I work in IT so I figured this would be no big deal. Doing so, I believe I accidentally bent the connector on the data display cable after putting the computer back together. I had no buzzing noise, but also no display. After looking into getting a replacement cable, I found that there was a recall on the Radeon graphics card for my exact model that could cause display loss, so I contacted apple about having them swap the card out. Went to the apple store again, they found out about the power supply and refused to even look at the computer, and also refused to replace the graphics card that was a company wide recall.

Now I am left with a $2000 computer that they refuse to fix or even honor the recall. This is awful. I understand their policy about fixing computers and I was willing to pay to get the cable fixed, so I am not that upset about that. That is my fault. But the real kick in the pants is that I should be entitled to a new graphics card, and they will not budge on that saying I voided everything by replacing the power supply.

Does anyone have any advice for what I could do? They never even mentioned the graphics card recall last year when I went into the store, or notified me in any way since it started in 2013. I feel super cheated here. I feel like if they really won't service the computer, the least they can do is just give me the graphics card and I will install it myself. Sorry if that was super long, I really don't want to have to shell out another 2k for a new iMac.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 9:01 AM

3 replies

Oct 5, 2015 9:31 AM in response to hydrovibe

You damaged the computer which voided any warranty opportunities in Apple's eyes. Thereforei If the GPU needs to be replaced you will have to pay for it. You can speak to Apple's customer care (call AppleCare and request the phone number for your part of the planet) and see if they can assist, however by damaging the computer this is going to hurt your plea.

Oct 5, 2015 11:29 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Yeah I am aware that I kind of ruined my chance of getting it looked at, but I don't see how they can have a recalled part that is eligible for anyone with this particular model and refuse to replace it. I know there is probably some fine print in there that says they are not liable and such forth, but since this was an ongoing thing, I feel like they should at least give me some slack on that part of it. Or if that, give me a new card and I will have to get it installed on my own time. I just wish I had known about it, which is the part that really bothers me. They never advertised that this was a potential problem. Only after researching into display issues did I come across any documentation on it and it began almost 3 years ago! That is not fair to the consumer for a high end product that costs $2000. I think they could at least have sent out an email, or mentioned it last year when I went into the store.

Oct 5, 2015 11:38 AM in response to hydrovibe

The iMac (27-inch): AMD Radeon 6970M Video Card Replacement Program - Apple Support was made available several years ago, that you missed it isn't Apple's fault. Regarding the warranty, yes you should read it, it clearly states the warranty is voided by damage done by the end user. So yes, I feel your pain, however you should consider this a valuable lesson.

mid-2011 27" iMac Nightmare

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.