Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

undo hard disk partition

Today I partitioned my hard disk into two partitions which was successful but then I wanted to change the relative sizes of the partitions. Disk utility wouldn't allow this so I deleted the second partition expecting the hard disk to revert to its original size. It didn't. It left me with a partition which will not mount and with which I cannot do anything with.

Since then I have tried repairing the disk from the restore disk utility but again the hard disk shows just one partition of a partial size and another showing as free space with which I am unable to do anything.

I thought of erasing the hard disk and restoring from the back up but the information of the hard disk is resolutely of the diminutive size of the first partition and the 'free space' will not be changed in any way.

imac 21.5-inch, Late 2012

OS 10.10.5

User uploaded file

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 10:35 AM

4 replies

Oct 6, 2015 8:27 AM in response to Robert Albury

I would really appreciate some help with this.

So far I have stumbled across http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/144010/cant-create-partition-on-free-sp ace-with-disk-utility which suggests trying the following

1) Open Terminal.

2) Enter the following command to find the UUID of the Logical Volume. Make sure you select the correct UUID. Copy it.

diskutil cs list

3) Enter the following command (replacing lvUUID with the copied lvUUID) to resize the logical volume back to it's full capacity. Enter your password when prompted.

sudo diskutil cs resizeVolume lvUUID %100

4) Once it completes, exit terminal. Open up System Preferences > Startup Disk and re-select the volume to Bless it again as the boot volume.

I managed up to stage 3 but this command which went thru the motions ended with

$ sudo diskutil cs resizeVolume E585B180-07E5-4A4D-935E-DE4BC3B6DEC5 0g ...... [I did also try %100 with the same result]

The Core Storage Logical Volume UUID is E585B180-07E5-4A4D-935E-DE4BC3B6DEC5

Started CoreStorage operation

Verifying file system

Using live mode

Performing live verification

Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume

Checking extents overflow file

Checking catalog hierarchy

Checking extended attributes file

Checking volume information

The volume Partition 1 appears to be OK

File system check exit code is 0

Growing Logical Volume

Resizing Core Storage Logical Volume structures

Error: -69720: There is not enough free space in the Core Storage Logical Volume Group for this operation

so I am currently stuck

my hard disk lists as

+-- Logical Volume Group 20644543-688F-4880-80C4-1D10E179C95A

=========================================================

Name: Macintosh HD

Size: 508179988480 B (508.2 GB)

Free Space: 204800 B (204.8 KB)

|

+-< Physical Volume 79DD9B2F-B3F7-4224-80DC-C274BC565C61

| ----------------------------------------------------

| Index: 0

| Disk: disk0s2

| Status: Online

| Size: 120988852224 B (121.0 GB)

|

+-< Physical Volume D0CE3784-A4A0-4073-945D-8900475666E0

| ----------------------------------------------------

| Index: 1

| Disk: disk1s2

| Status: Online

| Size: 387191136256 B (387.2 GB)

|

+-> Logical Volume Family 13C2D605-87DA-45A7-81D9-9351F4969F4C

----------------------------------------------------------

Encryption Status: Unlocked

Encryption Type: None

Conversion Status: NoConversion

Conversion Direction: -none-

Has Encrypted Extents: No

Fully Secure: No

Passphrase Required: No

|

+-> Logical Volume E585B180-07E5-4A4D-935E-DE4BC3B6DEC5

---------------------------------------------------

Disk: disk2

Size (Total): 499672416256 B (499.7 GB)

Conversion Progress: -none-

Revertible: No

LV Name: Partition 1

Volume Name: Partition 1

Content Hint: Apple_HFS

but it doesn't show the Free Space 'partition' of 612 odd gb. (The hard disk is in fact nominally 1.2 tb.

So I do not know where to go next. I fear that if I just go ahead and ease the hard disk I will be left with a hard disk of just 500 gb.

Oct 12, 2015 4:35 AM in response to Robert Albury

Eventually I have found a solution for my problem

It appears that a fusion drive – a hard disk combined with a ssd –behaves differently and that least in Yosemite the disk utility does not handle the situation I got myself into; [creating a partition of the fusion hard disk and then trying to reorganise the partitions by deleting the newly created partition].

http://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202574

The solution I found after trying a number of others is described at

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/fusion-drive-partition-trouble.1519940/

There are a couple of suggestions here. One is resizing the CoreStorage which did not work for me, another involved bootcamp which I do not use. The final one essentially requires the deletion of the CoreStorage and then in recovery mode the disk utility will recognise that the hard disk and ssd require fixing and repair can take place. It is fully described.

I wish I wish I had known about this before.

I also wish someone might have responded to my original posting as it appears that it is not a totally unusual problem, it would have saved about 10 days of searching out a solution.

undo hard disk partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.