Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan Bug: When Mail is open my computer slows or freezes

Ever since upgrading to El Capitan, whenever Mail is open my computer slows to a crawl and I get the spinning beachball of death. What's the deal here?

-John

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 11:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 2:38 AM

This worked for me ... just deleted these log files & problem solved !

Reply Helpfulby miguel.apple on Oct 7, 2015 2:25 AM

I find that the new Mail app in El Capitan is trying to clean up the log files by zipping them in memory which caused the problem.

Try to delete your log file manually in the following folder (Command + Shift + G):

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Logs/Mail/

You may see huge size log files in the folder ...just delete all *.log and restart your Mail App. Then, things should back to normal.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2015 2:38 AM in response to JPrattArt

This worked for me ... just deleted these log files & problem solved !

Reply Helpfulby miguel.apple on Oct 7, 2015 2:25 AM

I find that the new Mail app in El Capitan is trying to clean up the log files by zipping them in memory which caused the problem.

Try to delete your log file manually in the following folder (Command + Shift + G):

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Logs/Mail/

You may see huge size log files in the folder ...just delete all *.log and restart your Mail App. Then, things should back to normal.

El Capitan Bug: When Mail is open my computer slows or freezes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.