Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to make new (empty) clip window to paste into

Hi, all.

I used to keep an older version of Quicktime, just to use for this simple purpose. I could take a video, drag the two IN and OUT points around a portion of the video, COPY that portion... and then COMMAND+N to make a NEW, empty space where i could then paste that snippet. Then i could just name and save that snippet.

Well, i just updated to El Capitan, and somehow lost that old QT version, and i don't even recall which version number it was. So, i'm trying to do the same thing with the current QT, and even thought the interface is nicer, it's not as easy to do the same things. I understand that i now use the play head to set TRIM points, and i can select and COPY the snippet. But, then what? I don't know how to make a new video clip for the copied snippet.

Seems like a simple thing, no?

If there's another FREE app i could be using that does the same thing, in a very simple way — i already have Premiere Pro, but don't want to get involved with it whenever i want to do this little task — please let me know.

Thanks.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 12:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 2:39 PM

i just updated to El Capitan, and somehow lost that old QT version, and i don't even recall which version number it was.

Did you look in the "Applications > Utilities" folder? If upgrading from a pre-Snow Leopard version of QT 7 Pro (initially released in 2005), the installer should have automatically moved it to the new location during the installation process.

If there's another FREE app i could be using that does the same thing, in a very simple way — i already have Premiere Pro, but don't want to get involved with it whenever i want to do this little task — please let me know.

If the QT 7 player app was deleted during installation of El Capitan and you still have your key to unlock the "pro" editing features (or have one of applicable Apple "Pro" video editing apps installed), then you can simply download the free QT 7 (v7.6.6) player app from the Apple site which remains (at least for now) compatible with the latest El Capitan operating system. The app can then be re-keyed manually (or automatically by re-installing appropriate software that re-keys the QT 7 editing features).

User uploaded file

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2015 2:39 PM in response to CK Dexter Haven

i just updated to El Capitan, and somehow lost that old QT version, and i don't even recall which version number it was.

Did you look in the "Applications > Utilities" folder? If upgrading from a pre-Snow Leopard version of QT 7 Pro (initially released in 2005), the installer should have automatically moved it to the new location during the installation process.

If the QT 7 player app was deleted during installation of El Capitan and you still have your key to unlock the "pro" editing features (or have one of applicable Apple "Pro" video editing apps installed), then you can simply download the free QT 7 (v7.6.6) player app from the Apple site which remains (at least for now) compatible with the latest El Capitan operating system. The app can then be re-keyed manually (or automatically by re-installing appropriate software that re-keys the QT 7 editing features).

User uploaded file

How to make new (empty) clip window to paste into

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.