Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Annoying behaviuor in open and save dialogs

I recently update to El Capitan, and I noticed an annoying and tedious behavior of the open and save dialogs.

In any application, when I open or save a file, in the open or save dialog there is no way to go up to the parent directory.

In example, if I am in columns view mode, it is not possible to scroll horizontally to the left in order to see the parent folders: the columns stop showing the deeper folder in the hierarchy.

If I click on one of the favorites folder in the left panel of the dialog, or if select a folder from the combo box on the top, this strange behavior disappear.

This behavior is very tedious because every time you save or open a file, you have to browse the file system from the root or from one of the favorites folder to get to the desired directory.

Any idea on how to solve this issue?

Thanks for the help.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 1:02 PM

7 replies

Oct 10, 2015 2:32 PM in response to xilinx

I found the change to the save panel annoying as well - seems like it didn't need changing in the first place.

On a save panel there is a drop down that contains the name of the current directory, if you click on it, the drop down will show you the parent directories and you can select one to "back up".

The previous save panel was not broken and should not have been fixed.

Oct 12, 2015 11:58 PM in response to Jeff Hallgren

Thanks Jeff for reply.

Yes I am using the drop down but, considering the main functionality of the columns view, it is a non sense.

Sometimes, always in columns view, every column appears with an header containing the label "No Tags". Is it normal? If yes, what is it for? (see the image)

Finally, I think that columns view is buggy also in finder: it has strange behaviors similar to the open/save dialog box.User uploaded file

Oct 13, 2015 12:56 AM in response to xilinx

You're sorting the display by Tags. Click on the icon to the left of the Folder name (looks like six boxes with two lines), and click on "None".

You can always go up to the parent directory by pressing Command Up. Normally, the display won't scroll back past the User home, but that's a good thing, because you don't want to get lost in the hierarchy above that (and you shouldn't be saving files outside your user domain).

You can also click on the folder name to get a drop-down list of the full filepath. You can select any folder in the list.

Oct 13, 2015 1:14 AM in response to benwiggy

Thanks for all the suggestions.

>You're sorting the display by Tags. Click on the icon to the left of the Folder name (looks like six boxes with two lines), and click on "None".

This was a newbie question 🙂...I've never used the filters...

>You can always go up to the parent directory by pressing Command Up. Normally, the display won't scroll back past the User home, but that's a good >thing, because you don't want to get lost in the hierarchy above that (and you shouldn't be saving files outside your user domain).

>You can also click on the folder name to get a drop-down list of the full filepath. You can select any folder in the list.

Yes Command Up could be the fastest alternative to horizontal scroll.

I know that it won't scroll back outside the Home: as you said, it makes sense.

But the issue of the horizontal scroll happens in any part of the filesystem and, in my opinion, this behavior is distorting the main and useful functionality of horizontal scroll in column view.

Annoying behaviuor in open and save dialogs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.