Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i want to upgrade my ram but apple say there are 4 slots an i only see 2?

I have an iMac 2011 27' and i want to up the RAM, apple support says at the bottom of my mac there are 4 slots and i only have 2?? also it will only take 16 gb i believe so should i just have 2 x 8gb or is there 2 slots i haven't seen? thanks in advance

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 1:02 PM

6 replies

Oct 6, 2015 1:59 PM in response to Rysz

Thanks guys, i see the two slots and didn't see that they held four. so thanks How do i find out what model i have? its a 27' 2011 When i check the the specifications it says Configurable to 16GB, only at the Apple Online Store. Does this mean i can only put in 4 x 4gb cards and no more? i was told before it will only take 16gb? Thanks again for your help

Oct 6, 2015 2:14 PM in response to Andy 1661

Select About This Mac from the Apple menu. Depending on what OS X version you have, the info display will vary, but generally the first summary screen will be in the format of "iMac 27" (Late 2011)" or such. If you then click on the System Report button, Hardware Overview will display a ModelIdentifier in the format of "Mac mini6,2" but for your Mac.

II put his info into Mactracker.app to get a confirmation of the highest supported RAM level or OS X version. Or just go to reputable store site to get get help with exactly what type of RAM you need. I've used OWC (Other World Computing) and Newegg for many years now, without any issues. Don't be tempted to use eBay or other cheap sources - you're asking for problems.

Good luck!

i want to upgrade my ram but apple say there are 4 slots an i only see 2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.